GPS on Windows 8 RTM RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to get the GPS module working under Windows 8 RTM, has anyone had any success with this?

I tried Option support but the response I recieved was not helpful:

My Option Support Query:

"I have a Samsung Slate PC (provided by M/S at the BUILD conference last year). This has a GTM671 module (Rev 1.8.1.0 Feb 04 2011) and I am trying to get the GPS working on the Windows 8 RTM (final) build. This is the same build that will be in retail in a few weeks – I downloaded my copy from MSDN.

I have installed the ‘Option_GTM671W_WWAN_Driver_5.1.39.6’.

Do you have a manual for the AT_ commands this device responds to? I have enabled the GPS module (‘AT_OIFACE=”GPS”,1’ and ‘AT_OIFACE=”APP”,1’, followed by Power-Off reset) and switched on the GPS Locator (‘AT_OGPS=2’) . Windows 8 does not show any ‘GlobeTrotter MO67XX – Data Interface’, although the ‘Diagnostics Interface’, ‘Control Interface’ and ‘Application 2 Interface’ ARE shown (on COM4, COM5, COM6 respectively). I have not seen any NMEA data on any of these ports – I assume I need to get Windows to recognise and show the ‘GlobeTrotter MO67XX – Data Interface’ on a COM port before it will work correctly."

Option Support Response:

"Hello Ashley,

Thank you for this mail.

The reason why you can’t use the GPS functionality on this module is that Samsung has decided not to support it. Therefore I’m afraid I can’t help you further.

Best regards,

Jeffrey Vanspauwen
    Technical account manager"

Friday, August 24, 2012 1:52 PM

All replies

• ran into the same brick wall. Neither option nor Samsung seems to be willing to budge on this item...

My blog: blog.jessehouwing.nl

Saturday, August 25, 2012 12:38 AM
  • It's a shame-> 5000 influencers using that device

Sunday, August 26, 2012 9:06 AM
  • I have the same Samsung Slate PC also provided by Microsoft BUILD conference but my GPS seems to work fine with RTM.  Have to admit that it didn't work with RP and CP.  Try going outside.  Hope it works for ya!
    Tuesday, September 4, 2012 8:17 AM
  • Any chance of describing your GPS device setup Calingsan? What driver version and what COM ports are in use? It may help - thanks.
    Tuesday, September 4, 2012 2:33 PM
  • Option Support Response:

"Hello Ashley,

Thank you for this mail.

The reason why you can’t use the GPS functionality on this module is that Samsung has decided not to support it. Therefore I’m afraid I can’t help you further.

Best regards,

Jeffrey Vanspauwen
    Technical account manager"

I wonder if the decision not to support the GPS was more a Microsoft decision or at least influenced. The don't even include a GPS chip in any of their Surface tablets. I'm willing to bet they feel GPS is tables is a mute point considering most tablet owners have a smartphone with GPS. I wholeheartedly disagree. If I'm in the city using my tablet at a coffee shop and want to lookup restaurants nearby I'd want the GPS to work. Network location based detection isn't great. GPS just works. Also looking towards the future I can see use cases of a tablet dock being built into vehicle dashboards where you dock the tablet and it becomes your infotainment system. Microsoft should lead here rather than be the also-ran that they are. Sorry for the rant.
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 4:35 PM
  • If that is the case why is my computer keep asking to down load the gps driver.  When i do it fail. can your or Samsung take it off of our system,  thanks
    Friday, December 20, 2013 2:52 AM
  • Ashley,

Here's what I did to further efforts to activate GPS on Samsung XE700T1A Slates like my XE700T1A-H01US with AT&T 3G:

I downloaded drivers from Samsung and Copied the unzipped directory name:

Option_GTM671W_WWAN_Driver_5.1.39.6

I pasted that in my favorite search engine.

I hit on this thread.

I opened the Reply.

I opened Device Manager in Windows 7 Home Premium on this XE700T1A-H01US Slate.

I clicked on Modems to open any detected Modems.

I Copied the Friendly Name: 

GlobeTrotter MO67xx - Modem Interface

I used Modem Properties Diagnostics to interview the modem there and viewed the log and extracted three lines:

ATI1 - Manufacturer:

ATI1 - Manufacturer: Option N.V.

Model: GTM671
           Revision: 1.8.1.0 (Date: Feb 04 2011, Time: 08:49:00)

I concatenated those lines with AT GPS:

Option N.V. GTM671 AT GPS

and put that in my favorite search engine, and hit on the manual requested:

www.option.com/download/GTM6xx_Nyos_AT_Command_GPS_v015ext.pdf

It was not that hard.

Your mileage may vary.

Cheers,

Doug

Admin @ Replikon . Net

NPI

CPS

AAS MET

Here's to 5000 influencers and a compassionate Admin.

Ashley,

Here's what I did to further efforts to activate GPS on Samsung XE700T1A Slates like my XE700T1A-H01US with AT&T 3G:

I downloaded drivers from Samsung and Copied the unzipped directory name:

Option_GTM671W_WWAN_Driver_5.1.39.6

I pasted that in my favorite search engine.

I hit on this thread.

I opened the Reply.

I opened Device Manager in Windows 7 Home Premium on this XE700T1A-H01US Slate.

I clicked on Modems to open any detected Modems.

I Copied the Friendly Name: 

GlobeTrotter MO67xx - Modem Interface

I used Modem Properties Diagnostics to interview the modem there and viewed the log and extracted three lines:

ATI1 - Manufacturer:

ATI1 - Manufacturer: Option N.V.

Model: GTM671
           Revision: 1.8.1.0 (Date: Feb 04 2011, Time: 08:49:00)

I concatenated those lines with AT GPS:

Option N.V. GTM671 AT GPS

and put that in my favorite search engine, and hit on the manual requested:

www.option.com/download/GTM6xx_Nyos_AT_Command_GPS_v015ext.pdf

It was not that hard.

Your mileage may vary.

Cheers,

Doug

Admin @ Replikon . Net

NPI

CPS

AAS MET

Here's to 5000 influencers and a compassionate Admin.

Monday, July 10, 2017 10:40 AM
  • To furhter efforts by 5000 incluencers to make use of STMicroelectronics 6-Axis Accelerometer/Magnetometer and Option Globe Trotter MO67xx GPS Data Interface and Option Globe Trotter GPS Senor in the Samsung XE700-T1A-H01US Series 7 Slate I presented in my post unquoted the way to find the AT GPS Command manual from Option's site. Concatenating a standard AT command suffix to the AT_OIFACE command stated in the original post on this thread, with that suffix being =?, using a terminal to the Command Interface (it doesn't matter what COM port it's on, that will vary from system to system", I retrieved this feedback from that Interface using my terminal's (PuTTY's) Copy All function (MY COMMANDS ARE LOCALLY ECHOED. ATE1 DOES NOT WORK HERE):

AT+CLAC

&C
    &D
    &E... (dozens of commands)

$QCBANDPREF
    $QCVOLT
    $QCHWREV
    $QCBOOTVER
    $QCAGC

OK
    AT_OIFACE=?

_OIFACE: ("DIAG","GPS","APP1","APP2","PCSC","IP","MODEM","VOICE","SD","CD")

OK

AT+CLAC only summarizes standard commands supported by the interface. The AT_OIFACE command isn't listed in its response. On my system, if I "Add legacy hardware" and "Show all devices" from Option only, there are drivers version 5.1.39.6 and 5.1.41.0 available for the Application 2 , the Control , the Diagnostics , the GPS Control, the GPS Data, the Modem, and the Network Interfaces for the MO67xx (It's an MO671W) hardware. The GPS Sensor is a whole different item from Option. It does not align with versions 5.1.39.6 nor 5.1.41.0. However, it is for the MO67xx.

Last night, using the PuTTY terminal and the commands AT_OIFACE="GPS",1, directed to the Command Interface, and AT_OGPS=2, directed to the GPS Control Interface, both with PuTTY at 9600 port speed, I "woke up" the GPS Data Interface, and using PuTTY to monitor the NMEA data stream there. I took the Slate outside and waited around 15 minutes after which the hardware had locked four satellites and showed an A instead of a V.

In a previous experiment I used Google Earth (it might have been Pro) and selected the GPS Data Interface's COM port, and the software did connect to the NMEA data stream.

I will try uninstalling the Command, GPS Command, and GPS Data Interface drivers, restarting the Slate, or uninstalling adn reinstalling the USB Globe Trotter MO67xx, which requires a restart for each operation, to see if the GPS Senor's authority includes those 3 Interfaces. I suspect it does and that having the Interfaces uninstalled will help because I stored the relevant commands in the Extra Initialization Commands line of two Modems I created in an earlier attempt to use initialization of the modems to send the AT_OIFACE and AT_OGPS commands mentioned.

I should mention I have a CSD/Fax SIM available and have also tried for years to get faxing to work with this Slate and SIM. Remember it's locked to AT&T.

Cheers,

Doug

Monday, August 26, 2019 10:34 AM