Dual Boot - Windows Developer Preview loads without providing the option of loading Windows 7 which is on the other hard drive

Question

• I installed Dev Preview on a second hard Drive.  I was expecting to see the Dev Preview Boot Load Screen which allows me to select either windoes 7 (already installed) or Dev Preview.  Upon startup, my computer goes directly to Dev Preview, and doe snot give me the option to boot into Windows 7

Any ideas?  I selected CUstom in the install, and had the setup (from DVD) install on a secondary hard drive (not my Windows 7 OS drive).

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 10:18 PM

Answers

• Hey Robert Mansfield,

You should still see both options when using separate physical drives. Note: I'm assuming that both hard drives were connected when you went through the installation of Windows Developer Preview on the separate physical drive.

Try following these steps to perform an automatic repair.

• Restart your computer
    • Repeatedly tap F8 on your keyboard
    • When the "Choose an option" screen appears, click Troubleshoot
    • Click Advanced options
    • Click Automatic repair
    • Select an administrator account
    • Enter the password for that account

Once it has finished and restarted, click Continue to load Windows Developer Preview. Then restart your computer to see if you are presented with the option to choose between both versions of Windows.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 1:02 AM

All replies

• try EasyBSD to put a choose timer on the bios.

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    Wednesday, September 14, 2011 10:36 PM
  • Is it possible that the Dev Preview Boot Screen did not show up because the versions on are separate physical drives?

Wednesday, September 14, 2011 11:27 PM
  • Hey Robert Mansfield,

You should still see both options when using separate physical drives. Note: I'm assuming that both hard drives were connected when you went through the installation of Windows Developer Preview on the separate physical drive.

Try following these steps to perform an automatic repair.

• Restart your computer
    • Repeatedly tap F8 on your keyboard
    • When the "Choose an option" screen appears, click Troubleshoot
    • Click Advanced options
    • Click Automatic repair
    • Select an administrator account
    • Enter the password for that account

Once it has finished and restarted, click Continue to load Windows Developer Preview. Then restart your computer to see if you are presented with the option to choose between both versions of Windows.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 1:02 AM
  • Hello Robert Mansfield,

Are you still experiencing this issue? If so could you take the steps below and send the output.txt and a screen shot of diskmgmt.msc to ComMod@Microsoft.com?

Open a Command Prompt:

Bcdedit /enum all  >  output.txt 

Include a link to the thread as well as your display name as well.

Important:  Please note this is not a support email address, and sending this information does not guarantee that Microsoft will be contacting you for a follow up

Thanks!

Michael
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 8:11 PM
    Owner