none
how do i make a good game? RRS feed

• Question

• im trying to make make a game but it keeps coming up with errors and stuff i need help!

Tuesday, November 17, 2009 9:46 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Obviously it depends on the game.  Start with elements of the game and prototype these such as movement, graphics, mouse and keyboard interaction.  When you have tried something and it doesn't work, simplify it as much as possible to isolate the problem, then post questions with your code .  There are many people on this forum who will try to help.  Also look at similar examples of programs posted on the forum for ideas.

Good luck and we look forward to helping.
    • Marked as answer by Dudeson Thursday, January 28, 2010 11:54 PM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 10:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Obviously it depends on the game.  Start with elements of the game and prototype these such as movement, graphics, mouse and keyboard interaction.  When you have tried something and it doesn't work, simplify it as much as possible to isolate the problem, then post questions with your code .  There are many people on this forum who will try to help.  Also look at similar examples of programs posted on the forum for ideas.

Good luck and we look forward to helping.
    • Marked as answer by Dudeson Thursday, January 28, 2010 11:54 PM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 10:22 PM
  • Cam, I wrote a small bit of debugger code to help me sort out problems with my programs. You might find it useful too. You can import it using code: KGH734

Happy to help with some questions you might have, and litdev's answer is definitely good advice.

It's probably worth noting though that SmallBasic is *not* a language for writing 'good' games in, it is aimed more towards learning to program. That's not to say you can't make good (i.e. interesting) games in it, but they will need to be fairly basic.

But, Small Basic will give you a good place to grasp most of the aspects of writing games, but don't expect to be making the next Assassins Creed in it. Think more like old retro games - pacman, etc.

Games consist of: keyboard input; mouse input; sprite (graphics) movement; level design; sound; and lots of head scratching. (I'd also mention that 'good' games also contain a good story, but you wouldn't believe it from some recent releases!)

Start off by doing some small programs to demonstrate each of the elements of a game. When you have an idea how each element works, try combining them together - one at a time - until you have something that hangs together.  (Dudeson has posted a number of his effects that don't do anything by themselves, but may be useful as elements within a game).
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 7:46 PM
  • (Dudeson has posted a number of his effects that don't do anything by themselves, but may be useful as elements within a game).
    hehehehe. exactly^^

here you go:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/smallbasic/thread/c5a9b29c-3ff5-4e31-988f-493dbd48ed03

and

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/smallbasic/thread/e6f31b85-75a6-4ecc-b55e-f741be79c755

i can just second what litdev said. experiment with each thing in the game. i had 36 versions of my zombiegame, till it looked like it does now.

Live for nothing, OR CODE FOR SOMETHING!
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 3:28 PM
  • Cam, following your question, I put together a small SnakeBite game with (I hope) a fairly easy to follow structure to use for approaching games writing.

I've posted it in this thread here, or you can import the listing (excliding sound/graphics) using code: KTN094
    • Proposed as answer by Davey-Wavey Sunday, November 29, 2009 12:11 AM
    Sunday, November 29, 2009 12:11 AM
  • GIVE ME THE CODE 
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 7:21 PM