VS2013 Express vs Community

Question

• I have good experience using VS 2012 Express for Windows App Store development.  I am moving to Win 8.1 App store development and universal windows app development and am trying to figure out if I want VS2013 Express or Community.

I use the SQLite plugin in my app, but I notice that it is claimed that you cannot use plugins in VS2013 Express.

Is this really true, because I can definitely use SQLite in VS2012 Express

I really only plan to do App Store Development and Windows Phone 8 development so I like the filtered/targeted nature of Express.

http://www.puttnutz.com

Friday, December 19, 2014 11:42 PM

Answers

• SQLite isn't a Visual Studio plug-in. You can't use plug-ins like Visual Studio Tools for Unity or Resharper in VS Express which add to the development environment experience. You can use them in VS Community.

You can use VS2013 Community edition and install only the Windows and Windows Phone components, but if you're happy with VS 2012 Express then you won't lose anything moving to VS 2013 Express.

Personally, as an individual developer I'd use Community. If your game development is in Unity then you definitely should use Community and Visual Studio Tools for Unity.

--Rob

Saturday, December 20, 2014 12:12 AM
  • It's probably under the Project menu by default. If not, you can add it from the Tools.Customize... menu.
    Tuesday, December 30, 2014 11:11 PM

All replies

• SQLite isn't a Visual Studio plug-in. You can't use plug-ins like Visual Studio Tools for Unity or Resharper in VS Express which add to the development environment experience. You can use them in VS Community.

You can use VS2013 Community edition and install only the Windows and Windows Phone components, but if you're happy with VS 2012 Express then you won't lose anything moving to VS 2013 Express.

Personally, as an individual developer I'd use Community. If your game development is in Unity then you definitely should use Community and Visual Studio Tools for Unity.

--Rob

Saturday, December 20, 2014 12:12 AM
  • Thanks - I went with Community 2013. Is there a way to get the "Store" tab from Express for Windows Store Apps to show up in Community?

I can probably hunt and peck around to find ways to do all of the things in that tab, but was wondering if there is an option to "show store tab" or something.

In particular I am wondering about the "Associate App with the Store" and "Create App Packages" options.

Tuesday, December 30, 2014 10:59 PM
  • It's probably under the Project menu by default. If not, you can add it from the Tools.Customize... menu.
    Tuesday, December 30, 2014 11:11 PM
  • I decided to go with Community and things are working - thank you.

I do have one problem.  I can build for Win32 (debug+release), x64 (debug+release), and ARM (debug).

When I try to build for ARM (release) the build process starts to churn about half way through and never completes.  It does not issue any error, it just churns and never completes.  I have waited 30 minutes or so to see if it eventually completes but it does not. This is 100% repeatable.

My first version of my app has ARM support so I hate to give it up.

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 7:41 PM