none
Is it possible to add a bcc to incoming email RRS feed

• Question

• We are using Outlook 2003 and I would like to be copied when email is received by specific email users: for example, outside users susie sends email to one of my mailboxes, fred@company.com.  I would like to automatically receive a copy of the email coming in to the fred@company.com email box.

Thanks in advance for your time

Rhonda Siner

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 2:26 PM

Answers

• You cannot add a BCC to a transmitted message, but you can forward messages to another address.

Create a rule that applies to all messages coming into fred@company.com to run the following Outlook script on the PC(s) that will receive the messages. Put your e-mail address in place of the bold email address.

The messages received by the recipient to that address will be sent on to you, however, the messages will be sent from the original recipient and not from the original sender, so if you reply to them the replies will be sent to the original recipient and not to the original sender.

The fact that the message has been forwarded is indicated by the addition of FW in the subject line, If you don't want that, remove the apostrophe from the .Subject = line.

Change the line where indicated when you have tested and are happy with the results and instead of displaying, the messages will be sent straight to the outbox.

Sub CustomForwardMessage(item As Outlook.MailItem)
    Dim olOutMail As Outlook.MailItem
    Dim sAddr As String
    Dim sList As String
    Dim vCC As Variant
    Dim i As Long
    sAddr = "you@somewhere.com" 'the address you want the message sending to
    sList = ""
    If InStr(1, item.To, sAddr) + InStr(1, item.CC, sAddr) + InStr(1, item.BCC, sAddr) = 0 Then
        Set olOutMail = item.Forward
        With olOutMail
            .To = sAddr
            .CC = ""
            .BCC = ""
            '.Subject = item.Subject
            If item.BodyFormat = olFormatHTML Then
                .HTMLBody = item.HTMLBody
            Else
                .Body = item.Body
            End If
            .Display        'Change to .Send after testing
        End With
        Set olOutMail = Nothing
    End If

Graham Mayor - Word MVP
    www.gmayor.com

• Marked as answer by rhondas100 Wednesday, August 29, 2012 3:22 PM
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 11:13 AM
  • One an email is retrieved (from POP3/IMAP Server) by Email Client in a separate computer you can only forward it to your address (No chnage in original mail).I think the OutLook experts can give the solution.But the solution need to be applied in the user's computer.

Another Option:I am not sure but I suppose mail server may have a such option by which it can clone a mail and send to your target ID.But this is again need to be done in Server.

• Marked as answer by rhondas100 Monday, February 11, 2013 8:50 PM
    Monday, April 16, 2012 7:59 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi Rhonda,

I am not quite following you what you mean with adding a BCC to an incoming email?

Do you want to create a copy of an incoming email to a specific folder in your Inbox?

Please explain, so we can help you further. Thanks! :)

Daniel van den Berg | Washington, USA | "Anticipate the difficult by managing the easy"

Please vote an answer helpful if they helped. Please mark an answer(s) as an answer when your question is being answered.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 1:44 AM
  • You cannot add a BCC to a transmitted message, but you can forward messages to another address.

Create a rule that applies to all messages coming into fred@company.com to run the following Outlook script on the PC(s) that will receive the messages. Put your e-mail address in place of the bold email address.

The messages received by the recipient to that address will be sent on to you, however, the messages will be sent from the original recipient and not from the original sender, so if you reply to them the replies will be sent to the original recipient and not to the original sender.

The fact that the message has been forwarded is indicated by the addition of FW in the subject line, If you don't want that, remove the apostrophe from the .Subject = line.

Change the line where indicated when you have tested and are happy with the results and instead of displaying, the messages will be sent straight to the outbox.

Sub CustomForwardMessage(item As Outlook.MailItem)
    Dim olOutMail As Outlook.MailItem
    Dim sAddr As String
    Dim sList As String
    Dim vCC As Variant
    Dim i As Long
    sAddr = "you@somewhere.com" 'the address you want the message sending to
    sList = ""
    If InStr(1, item.To, sAddr) + InStr(1, item.CC, sAddr) + InStr(1, item.BCC, sAddr) = 0 Then
        Set olOutMail = item.Forward
        With olOutMail
            .To = sAddr
            .CC = ""
            .BCC = ""
            '.Subject = item.Subject
            If item.BodyFormat = olFormatHTML Then
                .HTMLBody = item.HTMLBody
            Else
                .Body = item.Body
            End If
            .Display        'Change to .Send after testing
        End With
        Set olOutMail = Nothing
    End If

Graham Mayor - Word MVP
    www.gmayor.com

• Marked as answer by rhondas100 Wednesday, August 29, 2012 3:22 PM
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 11:13 AM
  • I have members of the community who send email to members of committees.  Certain members of the committees are telling me they are not receiving the emails sent to the group or even individually when sent directly to them.  I want to be aware when they receive email so that I can monitor their mailboxes to make sure they to receive the mail, or if they do not try and find or trace it.

I have never, that i am aware of, not received an email, so I would like to monitor these problems more pro-actively.

Rhonda Siner

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 7:06 PM
  • One an email is retrieved (from POP3/IMAP Server) by Email Client in a separate computer you can only forward it to your address (No chnage in original mail).I think the OutLook experts can give the solution.But the solution need to be applied in the user's computer.

Another Option:I am not sure but I suppose mail server may have a such option by which it can clone a mail and send to your target ID.But this is again need to be done in Server.

• Marked as answer by rhondas100 Monday, February 11, 2013 8:50 PM
    Monday, April 16, 2012 7:59 AM
    Answerer