vista + vs 2008 + asp.net 2.5 + sql server 2005 - Website Administration tool won't open RRS feed

• Question

• User-2099997479 posted

Hi all!

I just upgraded from vs 05 to vs 08 Pro:

1.First installed .net framework 3.5

2. Uninstalled 05 first and then installed vs 08 from scratch.

3. Uninstalled .net framework 2.0 (I thought that was a mistake, but then tried to reinstall and got info that it's already installed. Found it in my Windows/.net framework folder)

New projects as well as those imported from vs 05 work fine (even those using SQL Server db), however I can't open the Website Administration tool. The site opens but can't load. No particular errors, just information that Firefox/IE can't connect with my localhost:63211 server.

IIS (7.0) and SQL Server (2005) seem to be working fine (all projects are working properly).

One thing that came to my mind is the lack of aspnet_webadmin folder in my wwwroot... but .net 3.5 was supposed to keep it somewhere else (or am I wrong?). If that's the problem than where can I get i?t And howcome new vs 08 installation missed it??

Any help will be appreciated.

mmalkows

PS.

My vista lacks SP1 if that ccan be of any help. I downloaded it but now need to resize the disc because it needs 7gb free space to instal! SICK!

Sunday, November 29, 2009 7:00 AM

Answers

• User1759999623 posted

What you probably should have done was to uninstall .NET 3.5 and both versions of VS.  After this, repair Vista and thenreinstall only Visual Studio in order of 2005 and then 2008.  (The 2008 installation will also install .NET 3.5.)

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 10:06 AM

All replies

• User1759999623 posted

You need to revisit your .NET Framework installations.  .NET 3.0 and 3.5 require the presence of .NET 2.0 because they are not full versions, but merely layers on top of .NET 2.0.  So, I would uninstall all versions of .NET and then reinstall in order: 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5. 

Sunday, November 29, 2009 5:00 PM
  • User-2099997479 posted

You need to revisit your .NET Framework installations.  .NET 3.0 and 3.5 require the presence of .NET 2.0 because they are not full versions, but merely layers on top of .NET 2.0.  So, I would uninstall all versions of .NET and then reinstall in order: 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5. 

That's what ended up with yesterday as well... the problem is I made some research and it seems that .net 2.0 is part of vista os, thus you can't uninstal or install it that simple. Tried using methods given by MS (uninstal from control pannel and then use Installer CleanUp Utility) but that gave no results. Installation still points out that the .net framework is already installed :/

Is it possible that the only way to solve this is to repair the whole os? If so is it possible to repair it without having to wipe and start from scratch the whole os partition?

Btw, because I think it's still the matter of the missing aspnet_webadmin folder, can I get it without having to reinstal .net framework??

regards,

MM

Monday, November 30, 2009 2:23 PM
  • User1759999623 posted

What are you exactly seeing when you go to the ASP.NET Configuration menu item under the Website menu in Visual Studio?  Is this how you are trying to open the Website Admin tool? 

Monday, November 30, 2009 2:57 PM
  • User-2099997479 posted

What are you exactly seeing when you go to the ASP.NET Configuration menu item under the Website menu in Visual Studio?  Is this how you are trying to open the Website Admin tool? 

Just a standart info whenever you lack internet connection in your browser saying that it can't connect with my localhost:63211 server.

Monday, November 30, 2009 3:34 PM
  • User1759999623 posted

Can you run your website from Visual Studio?  In other words, can you run your web app with http://localhost:(port#)/MyApp?

Monday, November 30, 2009 4:38 PM
  • User-2099997479 posted

Can you run your website from Visual Studio?  In other words, can you run your web app with http://localhost:(port#)/MyApp?

Yes, that's right. I can open the website from vs and it works fine (no port in the link there though) but cant connect with the Website Admin Tool.

Well... now after I tried out microsoft's mehods of reinstalling .net framework I can't do even that, but still, it was possible to run apps from vs at the beginning and I guess if I try to configure IIS it'll be back to that state again (which is working project's without WAT).

Monday, November 30, 2009 7:55 PM
  • User1759999623 posted

If you do not have a port number when running a web app from VS, then you have VS configured to run the web app through IIS.  Are you developing through a project or is this a simple file-base web application?

Monday, November 30, 2009 9:49 PM
  • User-2099997479 posted

If you do not have a port number when running a web app from VS, then you have VS configured to run the web app through IIS.  Are you developing through a project or is this a simple file-base web application?

Yes, as a location I'm using my localhost, not the file system. And yes, it's a project.

Just now I've installed 3.5 and checked the servers info (one you can open ftom the task bar in vista) and the path seems to be ok. The files should be placed in C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\asp.netwebadminfiles\ and they are. This means my first idea of the missing aspnet_webadmin folder in wwwroot was wrong. The port IIS is working on is 52061 and I checked the configuration in Programs and Features and the all seem ok (well, a bit more than needed but I don't think that does any harm e.g. checking ASP, and ASP.NET in Features ).

Anyway, after removing all .net frameworks (2.0 and 3.0) through add/remove and installation cleanup I can see both frameworks are still there and reinstalling 3.5 caused even more trouble because now I can't even run my projects. This leaves me with no more options I guess than simply to reinstal/repair vista?

Or do you have any ideas?

Tuesday, December 1, 2009 9:27 AM
  • User1759999623 posted

What you probably should have done was to uninstall .NET 3.5 and both versions of VS.  After this, repair Vista and thenreinstall only Visual Studio in order of 2005 and then 2008.  (The 2008 installation will also install .NET 3.5.)

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 10:06 AM