Getting error while connecting to SQL Server 2012... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I installed MS SQL Server 2012 (Express edition) in my machine.My machine has two users ADMIN & LOKESH...

The SQL Server is working fine.But some times while connecting to SQL Server 2012 i am getting an error like below.

Cannot connect to LOKESH\SQLSERVER.

===================================

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)

I am using the correct Server name, Login & Password.Some times it allows me to connect. But some times getting an error...I am new to sqlserver..Anyone please help me.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 7:06 AM

Answers

• Hi, Olaf thank u for your quick response...

The instance name is correct...yesterday i connected with the same credentials but today it is not allowing me....

Please check your SQL SERVER Service is running

in

Start-> run-> services.msc

Some time when you shutdown the shutdown your machine and start again, SQL Server may not start, due to the SQL Server service not properly shutdown

Thanks

Saravana Kumar C

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 7:50 AM
    Answerer
  • Have you checked if the service is running? Check also the SQL Server ERRORLOG file for further details.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 7:48 AM

All replies

• I installed MS SQL Server 2012 (Express edition) ... Cannot connect to LOKESH\SQLSERVER.

Hello,

Is that really the instance name "SQLSERVER"? By default a Express Edition is installed with name "SQLEXPRESS".

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 7:12 AM
  • check the link below

http://blog.sqlauthority.com/2009/05/21/sql-server-fix-error-provider-named-pipes-provider-error-40-could-not-open-a-connection-to-sql-server-microsoft-sql-server-error/

please make sure that correct instance name is used.

SQL Server Services is and running fine

Ramesh Babu Vavilla MCTS,MSBI

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 7:16 AM

The instance name is correct...yesterday i connected with the same credentials but today it is not allowing me....

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 7:40 AM
  • Have you checked if the service is running? Check also the SQL Server ERRORLOG file for further details.

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 7:48 AM

Please check your SQL SERVER Service is running

in

Start-> run-> services.msc

Some time when you shutdown the shutdown your machine and start again, SQL Server may not start, due to the SQL Server service not properly shutdown

Thanks

Saravana Kumar C

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 7:50 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

I checked my SQL Server Service...it's Stopped; Status - Automatic; Log on as - NT Service\MSSQL$SQLSERVER

I tried to start the service, but the options Start, Stop, Pause, Resume buttons are disable.....So please let me know how to start the service now....

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 9:20 AM
  • Hi, Olaf,

I checked my SQL Server Service...it's Stopped; Status - Automatic; Log on as - NT Service\MSSQL$SQLSERVER

I tried to start the service, but the options Start, Stop, Pause, Resume buttons are disable.....So please let me know how to start the service now....

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 9:21 AM
  • Could be a permission issue; have you started services.msc with elevated permissions as administrator?

Have you meanwhile checked the ERRORLOG file of SQL Server to get more informations about the issue?

Olaf Helper

[ Blog] [ Xing] [ MVP]

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 9:53 AM
  • Every thing is working fine now...I started the Sql server service....

Thank u all...

Wednesday, October 23, 2013 10:32 AM