none
Alert notifications for Approval status not working RRS feed

• Question

• I have content approval set up for a list. The purpose of this list is to have employees enter an item in the list and the manager/approver approves it.

I had alert email notification set up for the employees with the following options:

"Send alerts if anything changes" and filtered for "someone else changes an item created by me"

This means that if employee created a new list item, he will be notified when Approval status is changed from Pending to Approved/Rejected by the approver.  Hower, the employees never get a notification when the approval staus changes. They only get an notification if the fields/contents of the list item is changed by someone else.

If "Anything changes" is selected for the alert notification, SharePoint is successful in detecting the change in the approval status alone. This would have been OK, but we really need to filter the alerts notification only for changes in items created by the user.

I read in a blog that SP2010 does not support detecting changes to approval status. Is this true? If so, how come it will send alert if "Anytyhing chagnes" is selected while only the approval status changed>?

Friday, January 27, 2012 9:22 AM

All replies

• can reproduce what you described. not sure if it is by design. I am trying involving people more familiar with this issue.
    Sunday, January 29, 2012 6:28 AM
  • Hello,

Alerts are used for sending notification to the subscribed user if the Item Content changes. It is expected that it will not send out an alert if Approval status changes. I would recommend using Approval Workflow to get emails about the Approval status changes ('Please approve', 'Approval has completed' etc...)

Please look at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint-designer-help/understand-approval-workflows-in-sharepoint-2010-HA101857172.aspx to understand more about approval workflows.

Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helps you or click 'Unmark as Answer' if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Regards,
    Nishant Shah
    Microsoft Online Community Support
    Monday, January 30, 2012 1:45 PM