none
WinCE Device connection attempt with wrong password is successful RRS feed

• Question

• Problem Statement:

My windows CE device is connected to a WPA2 Enterprise network using PEAP Credentials. I am trying to reattempt the connection using different credentials with wrong password. The connection attempt was successful which is not an expected behavior.

OS Used : Windows embedded compact 7

Background :

I tried using CmUpdateConnectionConfigByName API to update the profile XML connectionstring.This is followed by call to CmAcquireConnection.

Friday, May 4, 2018 10:09 AM

Answers

• Hi RachanaSingh,

I believe this behavior is by design.  The connection will not move off a good connection to a bad one.  Basically you are looking for a failure you would not want to happen in a real world scenario.  Likewise, Windows CE is bias to stronger wifi networks over weaker ones.  For example I have seen customers try and force CE devices to the weaker network but it will either stay or swap back to a stronger one.

The "Cm" in the call is Connection Manager.  It makes intelligent decisions regarding the devices connectivity and you are expecting it to fail when it is designed not to so I believe your expectations are incorrect.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

• Marked as answer by RachanaSingh Thursday, May 10, 2018 3:58 AM
    Wednesday, May 9, 2018 7:55 PM

All replies

• Hi RachanaSingh,

Do you have all updates applied?  Can you clarify the steps involved?  For example, if the valid credentials are already in the system, my assumption is the device is using those to maintain the connection.

Can you give us the details of how to see your issue?  Here is a brief version of the template we use at Microsoft to log bugs.

ENVIRONMENT:

What Computers, OS and devices are involved with this repro? How are they connected?

REPRO STEPS:

What steps would someone need to follow to see the issue?

RESULTS:

What did you Expect to happen?

What did Actually happen?

NOTES:

Any other details/workarounds potentially related info

If you could fill out the template with as much detail as you have, it might give us a better starting point.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Friday, May 4, 2018 8:38 PM
  • Hi ,

Please find my responses below.

Do you have all updates applied?

I have Microsoft updates applies till June 2017.

Can you clarify the steps involved?  For example, if the valid credentials are already in the system, my assumption is the device is using those to maintain the connection.

The windows CE7 device is already connected to the network using valid credentials.

Can you give us the details of how to see your issue?  Here is a brief version of the template we use at Microsoft to log bugs.

ENVIRONMENT:

What Computers, OS and devices are involved with this repro? How are they connected?

My winCE7 device is connected to a WPA2 enterprise network using PEAP. Radius server  and Cisco DualBand access point is being used to generate the SSID. Radius server active directory is used to generate the user credentials.

REPRO STEPS:

What steps would someone need to follow to see the issue?

1. Establish a connection config using CmAddCONNECTIONcONFIG and specifying the right user credentials .

2. Connect to the Wi-Fi network successfully using CmAcquireConnection.

3.  Invoke CmUpdateConnectionConfigByName to update the connection config created in step 1 with wrong user credentials.

4. Invoke CmAcquireConnection to connect to the network with the updated profile string.

RESULTS:

What did you Expect to happen?

The 2nd connection attempt with wrong user credentials should FAIL.

What did Actually happen?

It got connected to the same network.

NOTES:

Any other details/workarounds potentially related info

Monday, May 7, 2018 9:46 AM
  • Hi Rachana,

Based on your steps, I believe your assumption is incorrect.  I suspect that the valid connection with the valid credentials is still in use as it was not fully terminated in your steps.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Monday, May 7, 2018 5:19 PM
  • Hello,

I tried to include CmReleaseConnection(conHandle), before step 4(CmAcquireConnection), but I see this has not fixed the issue.I am still able to reconnect using wrong credentials(both user name and password)

Wednesday, May 9, 2018 6:02 AM
  • Hi RachanaSingh,

I believe this behavior is by design.  The connection will not move off a good connection to a bad one.  Basically you are looking for a failure you would not want to happen in a real world scenario.  Likewise, Windows CE is bias to stronger wifi networks over weaker ones.  For example I have seen customers try and force CE devices to the weaker network but it will either stay or swap back to a stronger one.

The "Cm" in the call is Connection Manager.  It makes intelligent decisions regarding the devices connectivity and you are expecting it to fail when it is designed not to so I believe your expectations are incorrect.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

• Marked as answer by RachanaSingh Thursday, May 10, 2018 3:58 AM
    Wednesday, May 9, 2018 7:55 PM
  • Thanks for providing your inputs
    Thursday, May 10, 2018 3:59 AM