VB6 and SQL Server 2008 Compatibility RRS feed

• Question

• I have been handed a SQL Server 2000 database and old VB6, COM+ ASP code website that need to be moved to a Hosted Server 2008, SQL Server 2008 platform (because the old dedicated server is dying) BUT I need to have the old code run while I re-code the application in .NET.  Can the old web code connect to a SQL Server 2008 database once I migrate the data over? I need to have the old website up and running while I completely re-code the app in .NET. Ugly, I know.

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 7:38 PM

Answers

• Hi DanetteCross,

As you have recoded the application in .Net , you could connect to SQL Server 2008 database with the proper connection string and OLEDB driver. Meanwhile, you have already migrated SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2008(white paper from MS), so the compatiblility mode sould be set to 80 on SQL server 2008 because some stored procedures and functions were written under syntax of SQL Server 2000 and only ran well under compatibility 80.

Best Regards,
    Peja

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Peja Tao Thursday, November 17, 2011 5:09 AM
    Friday, November 11, 2011 5:50 AM
  • @DanetteCross:

Absolutely, you are right.

Best Regards,
    Peja

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Monday, November 14, 2011 2:19 AM

All replies

• What's this I hear about Compatibility mode 80 or 100 on SQL Server 2008?  Any input you can give is much appreciated.
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 7:50 PM
  • Hi DanetteCross,

As you have recoded the application in .Net , you could connect to SQL Server 2008 database with the proper connection string and OLEDB driver. Meanwhile, you have already migrated SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2008(white paper from MS), so the compatiblility mode sould be set to 80 on SQL server 2008 because some stored procedures and functions were written under syntax of SQL Server 2000 and only ran well under compatibility 80.

Best Regards,
    Peja

Friday, November 11, 2011 5:50 AM
  • Well, once I am done recoding the VB6 code to .NET I won't have the connectivity issue.  But I think you did answer my question: that while I need to have the data already migrated to 2008, I use the compatibility 80 mode so the old code can connect.  Then I code like a person possessed to get the new system up!!! Does this sound right?
    Friday, November 11, 2011 8:35 PM
  • @DanetteCross:

Absolutely, you are right.

Best Regards,
    Peja

Monday, November 14, 2011 2:19 AM
  • In many cases, you won't even have to set the compatibility level to 80 to have the VB6 application connecting to the SQL-Server.  It depends on the type of code that this old application is using.

Saturday, November 26, 2011 10:59 AM