none
Same .NET 3.5 Framework installation issue on Server 2008 x64 everyone else is having you don't post the fix for RRS feed

• Question

• Where do I upload the verbose logs so you will tell me the secret to making Windows 6 function?
    Monday, October 5, 2009 2:47 PM

Answers

• Hi Sam,

Thank you for your help.

I looked into the log files and found the following error snippet:

MSI (s) (04:54) [08:26:44:423]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=CA_CSD_GREEN_INSTALL_amd64_enu.3643236F_FC70_11D3_A536_0090278A1BB8,ActionType=3073,Source=BinaryData,Target=QuietExec,CustomActionData="C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v3.5\WFServicesReg.exe" /c /v /m /i)
    MSI (s) (04:F0) [08:26:44:428]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSIB3BE.tmp, Entrypoint: QuietExec
    MSI (s) (04:4C) [08:26:44:428]: Generating random cookie.
    MSI (s) (04:4C) [08:26:44:440]: Created Custom Action Server with PID 27676 (0x6C1C).
    MSI (s) (04:B0) [08:26:44:487]: Running as a service.
    MSI (s) (04:B0) [08:26:44:489]: Custom Action Server rejected - Wrong Context
    MSI (s) (04:4C) [08:26:44:492]: CA Server Process has terminated.
    MSI (s) (04:54) [08:26:44:492]: Note: 1: 1719 2: CA_CSD_GREEN_INSTALL_amd64_enu.3643236F_FC70_11D3_A536_0090278A1BB8 3: QuietExec 4: C:\Windows\Installer\MSIB3BE.tmp
    MSI (s) (04:54) [08:26:44:493]: Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 -- Error 1719.The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.

It seems that some cause blocks the Windows Installer Service.

Firstly, please make sure that you're only running one setup at one time.

Then please check that the Windows Installer service is set to manual but not disable via the following steps:
    1. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc in the Open text box, and then click OK.
    2. In the Services (Local) list, right-click Windows Installer, and then click Properties.
    3. If the Startup type drop-down list is set to a value of Disable, select the Manual option from the Startup type drop-down list, and then click OK.
    4. Click the File menu, and then click Exit.

If it's already set right, try to repair Windows Installer:

1. Run regedit (Start > Run > Regedit)
    2. Go to the location
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msiserver
    3. Right click on this key and select "Export" to save the backup .reg file for late use
    4. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
    5. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
      sfc /scannow
      Do not reboot when complete
    6. Double click saved .reg file from working machine and import registry
      settings into Vista.
    7. Reboot
    For more information about System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) usage on Vista see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

And re-registering the Windows Installer service by typing "msiexec /unregister" and then "msiexec /regserver" in the command prompt.
    Also, the System account should have "Full Control" permissions to the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT hive of the registry.

If no avail, I would suggest you to upgrade Windows Installer to the latest Version 4.5.

If it still doesn't work, for x64 OS, could you please try the workaround from the following Windows Installer issue?
    http://www.vistax64.com/vista-general/143101-windows-installer-service-could-not-accessed-error-1719-a.html

Hope this helps. If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen

(This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.)

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Monday, October 12, 2009 2:26 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Sam Adriaens Tuesday, October 13, 2009 4:35 PM
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Wednesday, October 14, 2009 3:03 AM
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 11:17 AM
  • Found out the fix for this after I got a similar error trying to install a printer driver. It's really simple and you should probably submit for a KB article. I got it from this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrdeploy/thread/66ac93f1-bf34-4e4f-a3fa-7dd23fa882b9

Change the value of WOW64 in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msiserver from 1 to 0

That was it. Everything installed fine after that.
    • Marked as answer by Sam Adriaens Tuesday, October 13, 2009 7:16 PM
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 7:16 PM

All replies

• Hi Sam,

To upload the logs, you can try SkyDrive and post the link back here.

Some clarification with you:
    Is your OS Server 2008 or Server 2008 R2?
    Do you mean that you have issue during the installation of .NET Framework 3.5 on Server 2008 x64 machine?

Windows Server 2008 R2 includes the .NET Framework 3.5.1. It appears in Programs and Features Control Panel as an OS component. We don't need to install it manually. Thus, if you have Server 2008 R2, please go to Programs and Features Control Panel to check whether the feature of .NET Framework 3.5 has been installed. Check the box next to Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.

If you have Server 2008 instead of Server 2008 R2, for further troubleshooting on the failure installation of .NET Framework 3.5, could you please help me to try the following steps?

Firstly, please check whether you have turned on the windows feature of .NET Framework 3.0.
    Go to Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Turn Windows features on or off -> Check the box next to Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0.

Secondly, use Verification Tool to verify .Net Framework 2.0, 3.0. If .Net Framework 2.0 and 3.0 cannot be verified on your computer, you can try to follow the steps mentioned in the following blog to repair the .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0.
    See: http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2008/07/03/8685850.aspx

If no avail, could you please try to use collect tool to collect the log files of .NET Framework 3.5 from your "%temp%" folder?
    http://blogs.msdn.com/heaths/archive/2008/05/09/visual-studio-and-net-log-collection-utility.aspx

Steps:
    - Try to clean your "%temp%" folder
    - Download .NET Framework 3.5 full package
    - Install .NET Framework 3.5 (The installer must be run with administrator privileges - Right click the installer >> Click "Run as administrator")
    - Collect the logs from "%temp%" folder
    - Upload vslogs.cab file

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Wednesday, October 7, 2009 8:25 AM typo
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 8:24 AM
  • http://cid-bdd52ff8f0deb0fa.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/logfiles.zip

I didn't use the collect tool. Got the logs as per MSKB# 958052. Looks like the same files as the collect tool is designed to grab. Also threw the log from the verification tool in there, which said the 3.0 install was fine. Let me know if I missed anything.

Wednesday, October 7, 2009 2:34 PM
  • Hi Sam,

Thank you for your reply. I'm so glad to hear that .NET Framework 3.0 is well verified on your machine. How about .NET Framework 2.0?

I downloaded and looked into the log files you posted. However, I found that it's not enough for further troubleshooting.
    For more information on .NET Framework 3.5 log files, please check: http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/07/31/4156781.aspx
    Could you please help me to try following the steps I mentioned above to collect the log files? Please clean your "%temp%" folder before you install .NET Framework 3.5.

Thank you for your help. :)

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 4:24 AM
  • This is what I get: http://cid-bdd52ff8f0deb0fa.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/logfile2.zip

And yes, 2.0 verified as well. Should I not be enabling verbose logging?
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 1:54 PM
  • Hi Sam,

I searched the log files and found only two logs inside. There is no file like:
    • %temp%\dd_dotnetfx35install.txt
    • %temp%\dd_dotnetfx35error.txt

Some clarification:
    Are the log files that you posted collected by Collect Tool?
    Did you receive any error message during the installation?

If yes, could you please help me to check whether you can find .NET Framework 3.5 related log files via the following steps?

Steps:
    - Try to clean your "%temp%" folder
    - Download .NET Framework 3.5 full package
    - Install .NET Framework 3.5 (The installer must be run with administrator privileges - Right click the installer >> Click "Run as administrator")
    - Check "%temp%" folder to find .NET Framework 3.5 related log files
    - Upload log files

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    Friday, October 9, 2009 2:37 AM
  • Okay, apparently it was hiding in the parent folder of %temp% (forgot to mention this is a terminal server).
    http://cid-bdd52ff8f0deb0fa.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/logfile3.zip

Friday, October 9, 2009 1:34 PM
  • Hi Sam,

Thank you for your help.

I looked into the log files and found the following error snippet:

MSI (s) (04:54) [08:26:44:423]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=CA_CSD_GREEN_INSTALL_amd64_enu.3643236F_FC70_11D3_A536_0090278A1BB8,ActionType=3073,Source=BinaryData,Target=QuietExec,CustomActionData="C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v3.5\WFServicesReg.exe" /c /v /m /i)
    MSI (s) (04:F0) [08:26:44:428]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSIB3BE.tmp, Entrypoint: QuietExec
    MSI (s) (04:4C) [08:26:44:428]: Generating random cookie.
    MSI (s) (04:4C) [08:26:44:440]: Created Custom Action Server with PID 27676 (0x6C1C).
    MSI (s) (04:B0) [08:26:44:487]: Running as a service.
    MSI (s) (04:B0) [08:26:44:489]: Custom Action Server rejected - Wrong Context
    MSI (s) (04:4C) [08:26:44:492]: CA Server Process has terminated.
    MSI (s) (04:54) [08:26:44:492]: Note: 1: 1719 2: CA_CSD_GREEN_INSTALL_amd64_enu.3643236F_FC70_11D3_A536_0090278A1BB8 3: QuietExec 4: C:\Windows\Installer\MSIB3BE.tmp
    MSI (s) (04:54) [08:26:44:493]: Product: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 -- Error 1719.The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance.

It seems that some cause blocks the Windows Installer Service.

Firstly, please make sure that you're only running one setup at one time.

Then please check that the Windows Installer service is set to manual but not disable via the following steps:
    1. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc in the Open text box, and then click OK.
    2. In the Services (Local) list, right-click Windows Installer, and then click Properties.
    3. If the Startup type drop-down list is set to a value of Disable, select the Manual option from the Startup type drop-down list, and then click OK.
    4. Click the File menu, and then click Exit.

If it's already set right, try to repair Windows Installer:

1. Run regedit (Start > Run > Regedit)
    2. Go to the location
      HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msiserver
    3. Right click on this key and select "Export" to save the backup .reg file for late use
    4. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
    5. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
      sfc /scannow
      Do not reboot when complete
    6. Double click saved .reg file from working machine and import registry
      settings into Vista.
    7. Reboot
    For more information about System File Checker tool (SFC.exe) usage on Vista see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

And re-registering the Windows Installer service by typing "msiexec /unregister" and then "msiexec /regserver" in the command prompt.
    Also, the System account should have "Full Control" permissions to the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT hive of the registry.

If no avail, I would suggest you to upgrade Windows Installer to the latest Version 4.5.

If it still doesn't work, for x64 OS, could you please try the workaround from the following Windows Installer issue?
    http://www.vistax64.com/vista-general/143101-windows-installer-service-could-not-accessed-error-1719-a.html

Hope this helps. If you have any concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen

(This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.)

• Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Monday, October 12, 2009 2:26 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Sam Adriaens Tuesday, October 13, 2009 4:35 PM
    • Marked as answer by YiChun Chen Wednesday, October 14, 2009 3:03 AM
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 11:17 AM
  • Confirmed installer service running on Manual. Trying the SFC fix now (production server so had to schedule reboot). I already tried reregistering the Windows Installer before posting here and upgrading to v3.2. Will give v4.5 a try if all else fails.
    Monday, October 12, 2009 1:45 PM
  • Hi Sam,

Thank you for your reply again. :)

Besides Windows Installer v4.5, you also can try this link: http://www.vistax64.com/vista-general/143101-windows-installer-service-could-not-accessed-error-1719-a.html that I posted above.
    Someone who had similar issue resolved his problem with .reg file in this zip - http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/msiserver.zip.

Hope your issue will be solved ASAP.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen

Tuesday, October 13, 2009 3:20 AM
  • Okay, SFC registry trick did not work. Tried the reg file you linked abve which also did not work. When I tried installing Windows Installer v4.5, I got "this update does not apply to your system" with the x64, the IA64, and the x86 version I tried for lack of anything better to do.

Any other ideas?

Also, I was digging through the install log and found a few things. First was the following error:
    "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5\Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 does not exists."

I manually created the folder, but that didn't fix it. Noticed this line showing up a few times:
    "PFR: PRE_INSTALL, DELETE, , , C:\Windows\system32\spool\PRTPROCS\x64\1_HPZPPLHN.DLL,   ( 61.053.25.9 ) ,   ( Sat Jan 19 03:01:46 2008 )"

Tried the fix recommended here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/virtualmachingmgrsetup/thread/e3d53517-6838-4a98-bb7c-34986016d1c4
    and am now seeing this in the install log:
    "Windows Installer Patch Registration Fix for .NET Framework 3.5 (x64): Unknown format in the Pending Reboot Table"

Is there something addititional necessary to clear this "Pending Reboot Table"??
    • Edited by Sam Adriaens Tuesday, October 13, 2009 4:54 PM moar
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 4:34 PM
  • Found out the fix for this after I got a similar error trying to install a printer driver. It's really simple and you should probably submit for a KB article. I got it from this thread: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrdeploy/thread/66ac93f1-bf34-4e4f-a3fa-7dd23fa882b9

Change the value of WOW64 in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msiserver from 1 to 0

That was it. Everything installed fine after that.
    • Marked as answer by Sam Adriaens Tuesday, October 13, 2009 7:16 PM
    Tuesday, October 13, 2009 7:16 PM
  • Hi Sam,

Thank you for your kindly sharing.

For better understanding on this issue, I also marked my reply as Answer. This will be beneficial to other community members who has similar error message 1719 as you.
    I hope that this will not offend you a lot. :)

I'm so glad to hear that. Cheer!

Have a good day.

Best regards,
    Yichun Chen
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Wednesday, October 14, 2009 3:02 AM typo
    Wednesday, October 14, 2009 2:47 AM