I've lost access to my shared folders RRS feed

• Question

• After installing VS.net 2003 (academic edition), I've lost the ability to access shared folders on my computer from another, even though the settings on the folder, and on my firewall are unchanged.

I do not use the windows firewall, so it is turned off.  I have Sygate running, but even if I turn that off, I still cannot get in.  The logs do not show anything from my own network. 

All I get is permission denied messages.

Has anybody seen this and found a solution?  My searches on the MS knowledge base has been fruitless so far.

Eric the Grey
    Sunday, May 7, 2006 1:37 PM

Answers

• Well, I thought this had passed into obscurity and been forgotten, but someone keeps moving the thread around. :)

I've found the solution, which involved a registry tweak, chaning one of the keys in:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters
    If I recall correctly, I had to change the IRPStackSize key, increasing the figure to 15 from whatever it was.  I know I only raised it a couple of digits (from like 12) to make things work. 

I'm not certain what the .Net suite did, but this seems to have fixed at least one of the issues.

My thanks to the admins for trying to help me find an answer.

Eric the Grey
    Tuesday, June 6, 2006 9:51 PM

All replies

• Eric,

Can you check what group (via Start -> Control Panel -> User Accounts) your user is in?

Regards

David

Sunday, May 7, 2006 2:41 PM
  • I am still listed as Administrator.

One other thing I didn't mention above, but it also changed my login.  I don't log into my PC, since it is at home, and there is no need for one, but after I installed VS, I had to click my name to get to my desktop.  I've corrected this using TweakUI by setting myself to autologin.

Also, I can no longer use "control userpasswords2" to change the autologin feature, like I used to.  It simply does not run, or rather, "control" runs for a few seconds, but then goes away without any error or notification.

Eric the Grey
    Sunday, May 7, 2006 8:25 PM
  • Well, I thought this had passed into obscurity and been forgotten, but someone keeps moving the thread around. :)

I've found the solution, which involved a registry tweak, chaning one of the keys in:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters
    If I recall correctly, I had to change the IRPStackSize key, increasing the figure to 15 from whatever it was.  I know I only raised it a couple of digits (from like 12) to make things work. 

I'm not certain what the .Net suite did, but this seems to have fixed at least one of the issues.

My thanks to the admins for trying to help me find an answer.

Eric the Grey
    Tuesday, June 6, 2006 9:51 PM