Relationships between loaded relational tables. RRS feed

• Question

• Good afternoon,

At the moment I load the tables from PowerPivot in to a flat pivottable in excel, the tables lose there relationship. Without the relations I can not connect the tables en place them in one dataset.
    Even if I remake the relation in Excel it does not work.

I am loading the tables trough a connection with a MS SQL server. After I have loaded the tables into PowerPivot I do not encounter any problems.
    The tables and attributes are shown and when I check the diagramdisplay it still shows the relationships between the tables.
    At the Tab header: Manage relations under Design the relations are shown and they are active.

Is there any other way to load the tables into Excel using PowerPivot?

Technical aspects I am using:

Virtual PC with Windows Server 2008 Datacenter enterprise
    MS SQL Server 2012 Business Intelligence
    MS Excel 2010 with PowerPivot and the Excel data mining add-in.

Looking forward to a response,

Jeroen

Thursday, December 6, 2012 2:43 PM

Answers

• i think your setup is a bit confusing (if i got it correctly)

you load data from SQL-Server to PowerPivot and then use Excel-PivotTables to extract the data from PowerPivot and do analysis in Excel?

why cant you run your analysis directly on the PowerPivot model?

If you use PowerPivot only as a datapump, you could also import the SQL-Table into excel directly without using PowerPivot at all

hth,
    gerhard

- www.pmOne.com -

Thursday, December 13, 2012 9:14 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi Steenbergen -

Not sure I follow the issue.  Can you post a screenshot of your model (from the PowerPivot window) and another of the Excel pivot you are trying to build? 

Thanks.

Brent Greenwood, MS, MCITP, CBIP // Please mark correct answers and helpful posts // http://brentgreenwood.blogspot.com

Thursday, December 6, 2012 4:48 PM
    Answerer
  • i think your setup is a bit confusing (if i got it correctly)

you load data from SQL-Server to PowerPivot and then use Excel-PivotTables to extract the data from PowerPivot and do analysis in Excel?

why cant you run your analysis directly on the PowerPivot model?

If you use PowerPivot only as a datapump, you could also import the SQL-Table into excel directly without using PowerPivot at all

hth,
    gerhard

- www.pmOne.com -

Thursday, December 13, 2012 9:14 AM
    Answerer