none
When to use Metadata or Dropdown or Lookup column RRS feed

• Question

• Seems that SharePoint provides multiple ways to manage information, and I am confused on when to use metadata, dropdown or lookup column.

Now I have these requirements:-

1. Inside our document library I want to add  “Document type”, so I implemented this as a dropdown as follow:-

1. Inside our team site I need to define our external customers, and then I am referencing them inside a meeting item. So am saving the External Customers inside a custom list, and I define a lookup column which reference the external customer as follow:-

1. Finally we have a wiki library and we need to categorize the wiki pages so I added 6 metadata fields, such as document type, internal or external, related customers, etc.

So can anyone advice on then to use lookup over dropdown over metadata column? Now for me using lookup when I need to store additional info about the data such as the external l customer, where I need to store their email, telephone, etc. while meta data allow me to filter and navigate the wiki pages using the terms. And for the dropdown it is not clear when to use it over the metadata?

Can anyone advice on these points?

• Edited by johnjohn11 Thursday, June 4, 2015 4:03 PM
    Thursday, June 4, 2015 4:02 PM

All replies

• Hi John,

Its pretty simple

1.Choice column - please go for it only when you need to use it in only one list and not on multiple lists

2.look up column - if you want to use the columns on multiple lists, no point in creating choice column in every list so, you should go for look up column where one update at single lists automatically reflected in other connected lists. This is restricted at site level.

3.managed meta data column - values  at the site collection level. sharing across the site collections.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/f8a1b90d-8d85-4d84-98b9-9c978a22d120/managed-metadata-column-vs-dropdown-column?forum=sharepointgeneralprevious

Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the answer if it helps you

Thursday, June 4, 2015 4:18 PM
  • Hi John,

Its pretty simple

1.Choice column - please go for it only when you need to use it in only one list and not on multiple lists

2.look up column - if you want to use the columns on multiple lists, no point in creating choice column in every list so, you should go for look up column where one update at single lists automatically reflected in other connected lists. This is restricted at site level.

3.managed meta data column - values  at the site collection level. sharing across the site collections.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/f8a1b90d-8d85-4d84-98b9-9c978a22d120/managed-metadata-column-vs-dropdown-column?forum=sharepointgeneralprevious

Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the answer if it helps you

>>1.Choice column - please go for it only when you need to use it in only one list and not on multiple lists

but this not always the case i can define a site column of type choices and use it over many subsite and lists... also i can use site templetes and have the dropdown used on many subsites.

Also i think you are assuming that there are not any major differences between the three options other than the from where you are using them (site scopr, company level, etc). but there are other major differences for example using choices will not allow you to have filtering and navigation (meta data navigation), also if you need to create a list let say list of customers,, then if you use custom list + lookup column,, then you can manage the customer info such as telephone, location, etc unlike just adding customers inside a drop-down list... this was my question .
    • Edited by johnjohn11 Friday, June 5, 2015 12:45 PM
    Friday, June 5, 2015 10:46 AM