S1T00 Time out problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have a few small Foxpro programs that access a SQL 2005 database
    They do simple queries of that data and never write back
    Since upgrading all out PCs from Win XP with 100 meg Network Cards to new HP 4000 Pro PC, 1gig Network Cards & Win 7 Pro
    we get S1T00 timeout errors trying to connect to the SQL database intermittently

The Foxpro connect windows opens with the server name, database SA and password
    and all anyone has to do is to press enter and the program connects

I one case I use this to get the SQL Server information and in others it is hard coded into the program
    It does not happen every time so it is not always easily reproduced

lcserver=ALLTRIM(connectsql.server)
    lcuid=ALLTRIM(connectsql.uid)
    lcPwd=ALLTRIM(connectsql.pwd)
    lcDB=ALLTRIM(connectsql.database)

STORE SQLStringConnect ("Driver=SQL Server;UID=&lcuid;pwd=&lcPwd;server=&lcserver;Database=&lcDB") TO gnConnect

lcSQLCMD=[select bbjthead.ljob FROM bbjthead WHERE bbjthead.cancdate IS NULL AND bbjthead.closedate IS NULL AND bbjthead.ljob=?ljob]

SQLEXEC(gnConnect,lcSQLCMD,'JobNum')

The main application that uses the SQL database does not have any problems it just my little Foxpro programs

Any suggestions and where to look, logs to review test to do etc..

Thanks in advance
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 1:33 PM

Answers

• Hi Ruthless Roth,

I would recommend you have a try to take use of the NetWork Monitor to troubleshooting the connection issue and analysis the output. Please pay attention to this KB article about the usage: Information about Network Monitor 3.

Stephanie Lv

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Ruthless Roth Friday, December 7, 2018 8:59 PM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 6:27 AM

All replies

• Since your main application works, we assume that the SQL Server is fine.  It has been a long time since I used FoxPro so any help I offer is pretty limited, but you can set the timeout for ODBC connections. 

If your SQL Server is becoming busier, it is possible that some of your queries from FoxPro are just being delayed enough to cause the timeouts.

Could you check what your timeout settings are?  This could be for the query (SQL_QUERY_TIMEOUT) or for the login (SQL_LOGIN_TIMEOUT). You could try lengthening the timeout periods a little and see if that resolves your problem.

Here is an ODBC whitepaper from 1997, but updated in 2010. 
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms811006.aspx

RLF

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 2:41 PM
  • thanks for the reply

The SQL server only have  40 users. Not to say they could not slow it down

Seems unlikely but what do I know.

the Server is a New G7 with 64 gigs & 4 bonded 1 gig NICs

The SQL Server is in the VM and is SQL 2005 on a windows 2003 server

Any reports to look at or a profile to run that may help to understand what is going on?

Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:08 PM
  • Hi Ruthless Roth,

I would recommend you have a try to take use of the NetWork Monitor to troubleshooting the connection issue and analysis the output. Please pay attention to this KB article about the usage: Information about Network Monitor 3.

Stephanie Lv

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Ruthless Roth Friday, December 7, 2018 8:59 PM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 6:27 AM