VS 2013 Grid Template missing Detail page stuff??

Question

• Hi.

There seems to be some missing "stuff" in the VS2013 Grid Template. I noticed it in the Pre-release and didn't mention it because well, it was pre-release, but now that we are fully released it still isn't there. I'm referring to the whole of the detail item page. All it has is the title, back navigation and that is it. Where'd all the other stuff go? Is it being updated soon to include it?

Thanks!

Christine

Saturday, November 9, 2013 2:04 PM

All replies

• I'm not on a development machine and so can't look specifically at what you're talking about, but the general sense the templates were rewritten for Windows 8.1. They are starting points and aren't expected to be fully featured apps. You can add your own details as appropriate for the app you want to write.

If you have feature requests for Visual Studio you can post them the Visual Studio UserVoice site.

We cannot comment on future updates.

--Rob

Saturday, November 9, 2013 10:49 PM
  • I am attaching two screen captures of the ItemsDetails page. One is from the VS2012 Grid Template, the other is from the VS2013 Grid Template. I think you'll agree that the VS 2013 Grid Template is missing some stuff.

And is it really a "feature request" to put something back in the template that should have been there already? (rhetorical, btw).

Christine

Sunday, November 10, 2013 3:17 PM
  • There was an effort to reduce non-essential code in the templates, where it made sense, for 8.1. If you just want a code example, the following was used in the items page in a Hub sample (equivalent to itemdetail page in Grid).

ready: function (element, options) { 
            //var itemObj = Data.items.getAt(options.itemIdx); 
            //var item = new Array([itemObj.key, itemObj.title]); 
            //var item = [itemObj.group.key, itemObj.title]; 
            var item = Data.resolveItemReference(options.item); 

// TODO: Initialize the page here. 
            element.querySelector(".titlearea .pagetitle").textContent = item.title; 
            element.querySelector(".itemauthor").textContent = "Photo taken by: " + item.subtitle; 
            element.querySelector(".itempublished").textContent = "Date published: " + item.published; 
            element.querySelector(".itemdescription").textContent = "Item description: " + item.description; 

}

This code is from this Hub sample:

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Hub-template-sample-with-4b70002d/sourcecode?fileId=93309&pathId=2061494837

Thursday, November 14, 2013 6:25 PM
  • Sorry but the Hub code really isn't the same. And while I really like the new Hub control and template (I did this the hard way before in almost every single one of my apps), people won't realize they can go to that template when they don't see it in the Grid template.

Moreover, IMO, I think not having the original code in the itemdetails page from VS2012 in the VS2013 template makes this template not very useful anymore. It was/is an awesome template and gives a lot of information and example to the beginning developer. As an intermediate/beg advanced developer, even I use it all the time as a starting point and/or to grab some code out of.

Friday, November 15, 2013 2:20 PM