none
Query 0n Port 25 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

This is very basic query but have to ask this. Is it necessary to open port 25 for public in exchange env.?Wouldn't it is like opening a gate for whole world to enter into you env. and do the damages to your exchange env. My understanding is that port 25 should be opened only for knows IPs which you trust, not for "Any one".

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Pinto

Thursday, January 9, 2014 6:44 AM

All replies

• Hello)) If you're going to open port 25 is in the first place you should have a good firewall to filter it. And why did you open it for mail?)) In this tebepomogut guys http://faceless.me/ ask there)
    Thursday, January 9, 2014 7:09 AM
  • If communication with the outside world at large is not a necessity, then no.

Sunday, January 12, 2014 1:05 PM
  • Do you want to receive email from external senders in general?

That is the question.

If Exchange is for internal use only (and there are such implementations), then no.

If you only interact with one or more partner organizations, you could configure firewall rules so only SMTP traffic from those IP address ranges is allowed.

On the other hand, if you want anyone, new potential clients that you have never dealt with before, to be able to send you email from whatever location and IP address range they use, then *** AT SOME POINT *** port 25 must be open for communication - and for incoming traffic in general.

Very often, this is at the perimeter of the network, where some specialized device or software scans incoming mail for malware and spam (Forefront, Ironport, Barracuda, etc.), or takes place at some 3rd party mail hygiene service (Postini, MessageLabs, etc.). In that case, you can then allow internal access on port 25 only to the IP address/range of those devices or services.

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Sunday, January 12, 2014 2:51 PM