Platform builder Variations RRS feed

• Question

• I am new to Windows Mobile and WinCE world and I am trying to figure out the series of related tool chains and how to use them.
    Can anybody explain what are the differences between "Platform builder for WinCE" and "Platform builder for Windows Mobile". what are their individual use-cases and limitations?

if I have a WinCE5.0 BSP for a platform where I want to target the platform to be using Windows Mobile, can I use Platform builder for Windows Mobile.

Thanks and regards,
    Mittal

Thursday, October 4, 2007 5:21 AM

Answers

• Hi, Mittal

Where did you get the concept of "Platform builder for Windows Mobile"? I've never heard of that. Let's take a look at what is Platform Builder for Windows CE:

Microsoft® Platform Builder for Windows CE is an integrated development environment (IDE) for building customized embedded operating system (OS) designs based on the Microsoft Windows® CE OS.

(Quoted from Platform Builder User's Guide.)

The Windows Mobile is a customed OS based on Windows CE. i.e. It is already customed.

Best Regards

Chunsheng Tang

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 9:48 AM

All replies

• Hi, Mittal

Where did you get the concept of "Platform builder for Windows Mobile"? I've never heard of that. Let's take a look at what is Platform Builder for Windows CE:

Microsoft® Platform Builder for Windows CE is an integrated development environment (IDE) for building customized embedded operating system (OS) designs based on the Microsoft Windows® CE OS.

(Quoted from Platform Builder User's Guide.)

The Windows Mobile is a customed OS based on Windows CE. i.e. It is already customed.

Best Regards

Chunsheng Tang

Tuesday, October 9, 2007 9:48 AM
  • "Windows Mobile" is a platform built on top of "Windows CE". It contains specific functionality not present in Windows CE, mostly in user interface. Windows Mobile in turn consists of two separate platforms: Windows Mobile 6 Standard and Windows Mobile 6 Classic / Professional (in previous release called Windows Mobile 5.0 Smartphone and Windows Mobile 5.0 Pocket PC / Pocket PC Phone edition).

"Platform builder for Windows CE" is used to build Windows CE OS for a device. Evaluation version of this builder is available for download from Microsoft site. "Platform builder for Windows Mobile" is used to build Windows Mobile OS for a device. It is distributed to OEMs building Windows Mobile devices and is not available to general public for download.

Monday, October 22, 2007 12:01 PM