none
Flexible constraints for tasks between Project Plans in Microsoft project RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I have 2 project plans, given A and B. I want to introduce constraints for tasks within these two project plans.

I know how to link the tasks to eachother in certain project plans. I know about the (standardized) variety of constraints ES, EF, etc etc and deadlines. However, I want certain tasks in Project Plans A to be dependend on finishing dates of Project Plan B. More specific, I want certain tasks from Planning A to finish 14 days before the finishing date of a certain task in planning B.

Are these type of constraints available in MSP?

Regards,

Ingenieur X

Wednesday, March 27, 2019 3:04 PM

Answers

• IngenieurX,

Cross-project interdependencies are are not constraints but yes you can link tasks in one project with tasks in another project.

One way to do that is to create a dynamic master with both projects inserted as subprojects. At master level select a task in the first subproject by clicking an holding the middle of the task's Gantt bar. Drag the mouse to the desired Gantt bar in the second project and release. That will create a cross-project link. If the two tasks are not both visible on the screen, use filtering to isolate the desired tasks.

Save each of the subproject files but you do not need to save the master.

Hope this helps.

John

Wednesday, March 27, 2019 3:57 PM