How to update Product Key for TFS 2015.2 ? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear,

I am in a spot of bother. I upgrade TFS to 2015.2 for a customer. They gave me the set up files for it. Not sure from where he downloaded it. They gave me the product key as well. Now it been 2 weeks I haven't updated the key as I am not able to figure out where to do it. I am not sure whether it a license TFS2015.2. May be they gave me from MSDN account. I read many articles which concluded more or less this steps:

I followed above steps and expanded the server name and did not see the mentioned information.

I know we could use TFSConfig command to achieve many things related to TFS. As per this article I tried the same

I was not able to fire this command in Admin Command Prompt.

I tried to see what all options I have with tfsconfig command  and did not see a command with License option.

There are couple more command other than the screenshot ones which are not License one.

Now my problem is how do I make out whether the product is a license one or not. What info I have is the same set up file used for TFS 2015.2 installation, I used it in test environment as well. There as well it did not ask me to enter the product key nor I am able to see an option in test environment as well. Its more than 3 months in test environment when I installed the set up. The same set up I have used in Production 2 weeks before and don't want a situation where it says trial period expired. I am pretty sure my Client will kill me :)

I verified the Help -> About TFS option in both test and production environment and I could see this.

Any idea how I could verify whether the product is a license version. If the result says No. Then how to update it.

Thanks & Regards.

Ahetejazahmad Khan.

• Edited by Ahetejaz Wednesday, February 22, 2017 8:39 AM Update
    Wednesday, February 22, 2017 8:35 AM

Answers

• Hi Ahetejaz,

In earlier versions, TFS included code which required a valid product key to be present in order for the server to start up.

Since TFS 2015.2, TFS no longer distinguish the versions in this way, so there is no product key left on the TFS Admin console Product Information Summary page to display. And the TfsConfig License command is not available since TFS 2015.2.

If your TFS 2015.2 is in a Trial, don’t worry it will stop work immediately. If your trial expires, every user will see a banner in most pages of the TFS Web UI. You would have enough time to complete trial.

Best Regards

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 23, 2017 9:34 AM
  • Hi Ahetejaz,

After you get the trial expiration warning message, you could select the complete the trial of my TFS Deployment. There does not have a field to let you input the TFS Key.

To use TFS 2015.2 or later TFS version, need to buy monthly access. You could find more information in this link:https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/docs/setup-admin/buy-access-tfs-test-hub

Best Regards

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Ahetejaz Wednesday, March 1, 2017 7:04 AM
    Wednesday, March 1, 2017 3:26 AM

All replies

• Hi Ahetejaz,

In earlier versions, TFS included code which required a valid product key to be present in order for the server to start up.

Since TFS 2015.2, TFS no longer distinguish the versions in this way, so there is no product key left on the TFS Admin console Product Information Summary page to display. And the TfsConfig License command is not available since TFS 2015.2.

If your TFS 2015.2 is in a Trial, don’t worry it will stop work immediately. If your trial expires, every user will see a banner in most pages of the TFS Web UI. You would have enough time to complete trial.

Best Regards

MSDN Community Support

Thursday, February 23, 2017 9:34 AM
  • Dear Jingzhu,

Thanks for the response. Once I get the trial expiration warning message how to I go forward ?  By selecting the complete the trial of my TFS Deployment ? Will take to me a window where I could type in the TFS Key ?

Thanks & Regards,

Ahetejazahmad Khan.

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 12:28 PM
  • Hi Ahetejaz,

After you get the trial expiration warning message, you could select the complete the trial of my TFS Deployment. There does not have a field to let you input the TFS Key.

To use TFS 2015.2 or later TFS version, need to buy monthly access. You could find more information in this link:https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/docs/setup-admin/buy-access-tfs-test-hub

Best Regards

MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by Ahetejaz Wednesday, March 1, 2017 7:04 AM
    Wednesday, March 1, 2017 3:26 AM