none
Time-phased Assigned Work for Generic Resources not visible in Power BI RRS feed

• Question

• We are building reports in Power BI using data from our instance of Project Online.

We are looking to replicate something similar to the Capacity Planning feature available from the Resource Centre.

We are having a challenge to display a consolidate view of demand against roles - Generic Resources represent roles that are also common to real people using a custom resource field and lookup table that is set to be used for matching Generic Resource.

Whilst we can see Time-phased Assigned Work for real people over time we are not seeing it for Generic Resource even though we know that there is demand against Generic Resource in current and future periods of time - I have checked the Booking Type and we are using Committed bookings. 

We want to be able to see a Consolidated view of demand against Roles over time.

Generic Resource are defined with Max Units of 0% but we are assigning work to them which provokes overallocations.

Do we need to be looking at a different field in order to achieve what we are looking for?

With good wishes,

Dominic

Microsoft Project Evangelist

Twitter:   LinkedIn:    Web:   

Tuesday, June 2, 2020 8:05 AM

Answers

All replies

• No, this should just work.  Check the filters in your PowerBI reports, or that the GRs aren't filtered out in Power Query.

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Tuesday, June 2, 2020 9:33 AM
  • Hi Ben,

Thanks for confirming what I suspected and offering a suggestion to fix it - I will pass on your advice and let you know if it resolves the issue.

With good wishes,

Dominic

Tuesday, June 2, 2020 9:49 AM
  • Ben - we got things working, I am beginning to appreciate how fiendish Project can be for those who have no prior knowledge but are trying to build Power BI Reports. Inactive Tasks, Proposed bookings, calculating resource utilisation from … - each one can pollute or obscure the rendered data. Do you have any examples of Bear Traps in Project Data?

With good wishes,

Dominic

Friday, June 12, 2020 3:14 PM
  • Hi Dom,  As you already know, the traps are everywhere, how careful you need to be depends upon which parts of the wood you are walking in; alas I don't have any maps I can share, I wish I had created them, sometimes I think I've forgotten more than I knew.  

Friday, June 12, 2020 4:58 PM
  • Ben - sounding like a Zen master now, most amusing, thanks as always for your wisdom and willingness to share.

With good wishes,

Dominic

Monday, June 15, 2020 7:52 AM
  • :) 

Monday, June 15, 2020 7:54 AM