How to hide all sql instances on the network? RRS feed

• Question

• I want to hide all my sql instances includeing my default instance
    running on the server.All users can run
    SQLCMD -L via their machines which lists all the sql server instances on the net
    I have tried the following steps which is take out from BOL

To hide an instance of the SQL Server Database Engine

1. In SQL Server Configuration Manager, expand SQL Server Network Configuration, right-clickProtocols for <server instance>, and then selectProperties.
       2.On the Flags tab, in the HideInstance box, select Yes, and then click OK to close the dialog box. The change takes effect immediately for new connections.
    But the SQLCMD -L still enables them to get the hidden instances
    I have already disabled sqlserver browser.
    what can i do to hide them?
    --yousef
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 8:16 PM

Answers

• Hi Yosef,

The only thing you must have missed is to restart the instance of SQL server services for which you set YES for hide instance protocol property option in the SQL server configuration manager.

Thanks, Leks
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 9:38 PM

All replies

• Hi Yosef,

The only thing you must have missed is to restart the instance of SQL server services for which you set YES for hide instance protocol property option in the SQL server configuration manager.

Thanks, Leks
    Sunday, February 13, 2011 9:38 PM
  • Hi Leks,

the first restart did not show the instance  so i conclude that the job is done butwhen i ran SQLCMD -L

i got the instance name back. I have  restarted the service many times .but still get the hidden instance,seems like it is cached anywhere .i have restarted the windows but no use.please help me
    --yousef
    Monday, February 14, 2011 7:52 PM
  • It should work with a single restart of SQL services. Please check if any one else has set the option NO for hide instance
    Thanks, Leks
    Monday, February 14, 2011 8:07 PM