none
Azure Media Services with Cosmos Db RRS feed

• Question

• Hello.

We are thinking of migrating from Azure SQL Database to Azure Cosmos Db, and to leverage all the benefits of Cosmos Db, thinking of also migrating the document/media data from Blob Storage to Cosmos Db.

But, I am not sure how seamlessly does the Azure Media Services interact with Cosmos Db, and whether Encoding/Indexing/On-Demand Streaming etc will be easily achievable with Cosmos Db, as it is with Blob Storage.

Can someone please confirm if this is possible, supported and easily achievable?

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 3:17 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Azure Media Services relies on Azure blob storage to store the media files. With AMS v3 you can source from https when submitting a job but the output asset is stored in Azure Storage. You cannot use Cosmos to store the files.

But sure you can store your own metadata in Cosmos DB. For example, you can store a JSON document in Cosmos for each asset and jobs, and store the data coming from Video Indexer. This communication with Cosmos will require some development on your side as AMS does not do it by default. Personally, I use Azure functions and/or Logic Apps to send data to Cosmos. You can browse this repo where I publish some examples.

Wednesday, September 11, 2019 8:02 AM