none
.NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting: How to Debug RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a VB.net windows service that crashed very occasionally and writes an Event Log entry ".NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting" with an ID of 5000 and a bunch of P values. And that's all I get.

P1 b2bservice.exe, P2 35.2008.0.0, P3 4ed8776d, P4 b2butility, P5 35.2008.0.31624, P6 4ed8770c, P7 f0a, P8 22, P9 system.nullreferenceexception, P10 NIL.

I conclude from the P1 and P4 that a method in my class "B2bUtility" has crashed, and from P9 that it has Null Reference Exception.

Given that this is a very infrequent crash and I don't know anything else about the circumstances that cause it, how can I go about identifying where in the program it crashes?

Thanks

Steve

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 1:53 AM

Answers

• Hi, 

This could be the reason

"This problem occurs because the default policy for unhandled exceptions has changed in the .NET Framework 2.0. By default, the policy for unhandled exceptions is to end the process."  Prior to .Net2.0 it ignores.

What I would suggest is check, are you handling all exceptions well.  The better approach is handling application level unhandled exceptions in one place that will be like 

AppDomain.CurrentDomain.UnhandledException += CurrentDomain_UnhandledException;
    Hope this helps you...

If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer". If this post is helpful please click "Mark as Helpful".

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 7:07 AM
  • In general: Set up your machine to collect crash dumps when your app crashes. You can then look at the dump in Visual Studio or other debugger. That should tell you where the NullReferenceException happens.

If you don't know how to collect crash dumps, search these forums/internet (here's one promissing link).

-Karel

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 3:50 PM

All replies

• Hi, 

This could be the reason

"This problem occurs because the default policy for unhandled exceptions has changed in the .NET Framework 2.0. By default, the policy for unhandled exceptions is to end the process."  Prior to .Net2.0 it ignores.

What I would suggest is check, are you handling all exceptions well.  The better approach is handling application level unhandled exceptions in one place that will be like 

AppDomain.CurrentDomain.UnhandledException += CurrentDomain_UnhandledException;
    Hope this helps you...

If this post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer". If this post is helpful please click "Mark as Helpful".

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 7:07 AM
  • In general: Set up your machine to collect crash dumps when your app crashes. You can then look at the dump in Visual Studio or other debugger. That should tell you where the NullReferenceException happens.

If you don't know how to collect crash dumps, search these forums/internet (here's one promissing link).

-Karel

Tuesday, March 20, 2012 3:50 PM