Windows 8 desktop app live stream screen capture?

Question

• Hello,

I´m starting to develop a Windows 8 App for desktop. 
    In one section of the App, the user should see a live stream screen capture of the extended desktop.

I´ve tried different drivers to emulate an input video source with the desktop capture, like:
    http://www.splitmedialabs.com/media-toolkits/vh-video-sdk/vh-screen-capture
    and http://www.videohelp.com/tools/UScreenCapture

Both works perfectly well with VLC, but if i try to take them as input video source within this JavaScript code:

var deviceInfo = Windows.Devices.Enumeration.DeviceInformation;
        deviceInfo.findAllAsync(Windows.Devices.Enumeration.DeviceClass.videoCapture).then(function (devices) {

// Add the devices to deviceList

if (devices.length > 0) {

for (var i = 0; i < devices.length; i++) {
                    deviceList.push(devices[i]);
                }

but, there are 0 devices found. Do you know why?

Or anyone knows a way to take a live stream screen capture of my desktop on a Windows 8 HTML+JavScript app? Maybe should i implement a WinRT driver to capture the screen?

It could be something like the "chrome.desktopCapture" API that works perfect in Chrome Apps. Does Windows 8 Apps have something similar?

Please, any advice or info of how to do it would be much appreciated.

Monday, June 9, 2014 10:20 AM

Answers

• No, it's not possible from a Windows Store app.

Chrome is not a Windows Store app and so doesn't run in the same sandbox. Chrome has the users full access and implements its own sandbox to limit apps running in its environment.

--Rob

Monday, June 9, 2014 2:12 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Do you mean a Windows Store app (running on a desktop PC) or a desktop app?

Windows Store apps run in a secure sandbox and cannot capture information about other processes on the system. It is not possible to capture the screen from a Windows Store app.

Monday, June 9, 2014 1:52 PM
    Owner
  • I meant a Windows Store app runing on desktop PC.

Is it not possible even through WinRT?
    And why can it find a Video Capture Card input or a webcam and not the Screen Capture Driver with
    "Windows.Devices.Enumeration.DeviceClass.videoCapture"? Is there any explanation?

I know that Windows Store App runs in a secure sandbox, but Chrome App also runs in secure sandbox and Chrome let the app capture the screen...

So, is it definitivly impossible to capture the screen?

Thank you for your reply!!

Monday, June 9, 2014 2:08 PM
  • No, it's not possible from a Windows Store app.

Chrome is not a Windows Store app and so doesn't run in the same sandbox. Chrome has the users full access and implements its own sandbox to limit apps running in its environment.

--Rob

Monday, June 9, 2014 2:12 PM
    Owner