Unistall Visual Studio 2012 RC RRS feed

• Question

• Win 7. Programs and features does not show uninstall. I tried t0 use safe mode to access the setup file. Run VS shows nothing in the setup page. Looked in setup folder no files. Tried forum suggestions can not do anything to the program.. Expired. I have a purchase version cannot install until RC uninstalled.. Tried trial version.. Run VS shows nothing in the setup page.. short of re formatting hard drive how can I uninstall RC? I have a $500 software package that is an expensive book holder.

Thursday, August 1, 2013 8:38 PM

Answers

• Update: I finally found the issue. I used Revo Uninstall to try to uninstall the application. Revo could not find the 'default uninstall file' but it located the reference to the product key. Once the product key file was removed the purchased Visual Studio 2013 version was able to start the setup process. My guess is that when the exec file started it checked for the registered product key and this key was being returned as expired and would not allow the process to start. No error was returned nor did I see any expired information. Now Visual Studio is installing. I will never use the RC version again. I solved the issue no thanks to Microsoft.
    • Marked as answer by CodeMonkies Monday, November 11, 2013 12:27 AM
    Monday, November 11, 2013 12:26 AM

All replies

• Hi CodeMonkies,

Do you mean that you want to uninstall your VS2012 RC in your windows?

As far as I know, we could uninstall VS2012 RC from control panel->Programs and Features-> Microsoft Visual Studio 2012 RC-> Change-> Uninstall.

Have a nice weekend,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, August 2, 2013 8:26 AM
  • Hi Jack,

Thank you for the reply. Yes I am trying to uninstall. Control Panel> Programs and Features >VS 2012 RC does not give me this option. I have tried other suggestions to no avail. From the command line vs_ultimate.exe /uninstall /force response this version has expired. Tried safe mode again this version has expired. Looked at H_KEY no clue for uninstalling. Tried VS change runs a blank screen only showing title setup useless. I am trying not to re-format. Several applications will have to be reinstalled than run the backup. What a waste of time for 1 application. I installed RC just to assist in improving Microsoft's product and this is the headache the received by helping out. I will not do this again.. I guess I will have to re-format so I can get Visual Studio 2012 Pro installed if no one has any other suggestions.

Thank you Microsoft for such a productive day! (sarcasm)

Eclipse (Juno) free product runs with no issues.. I can even uninstall it!

Microsoft purchased product( I did have a MSDN license) RC no uninstall option.

Friday, August 2, 2013 4:05 PM
  • Hi CodeMonkies,

I involved VS Setup and Install expert to further look at this issue. I am moving your thread into the Visual Studio Setup and Installation Forum for dedicated support. Thanks for your understanding.

Have a nice day,

Jack Zhai [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Sunday, August 4, 2013 2:05 AM
  • Hi CodeMonkies,

I'm sorry you are running into this problem.

I'm confused about VS 2012 RC does not give you a uninstall option because this should be given as this page mentioned: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2744926/en-us

If you cannot find a solution to uninstall Visual Studio 2012 RC, please try the following:

1. Use this tool http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2005/07/01/434814.aspx to list all installed products on your OS.(Msiinv.exe, components list will be output from msiinv.txt log)

2. Still on that page you will be able to find this command: msiexec /x <product code> Please use the command along with the first VS2012 uninstall page components list to manually uninstall VS 2012 RC.

3. This might be used first because it is a tool used for fix problems if you cannot uninstall http://support.microsoft.com/mats/program_install_and_uninstall/en-us

Please feel free to let me know how is your issue going.

Regards,

Barry Wang

Sunday, August 4, 2013 2:51 AM
  • Hi Barry,

Thank You for taking the time to answer my question. I tried your suggestions:

1 the output for msiinv.txt is a blank file

2 Mr. Fix it could not resolve the issue. Tried to send the data... I received an error Mr. Fix it cannot receive the data....

and the saga continues...

I did not remover the installer.. When I was downloading RC it did take a long... time to install it.

Monday, August 5, 2013 5:23 PM
  • This might sound a little simple,but try downloading the Revo Uninstall Pro program.With the Revo the program does not have to be in the "Programs and Features" window. Type the path in and force uninstall if need be. Just a suggestion-worth a try.good luck.
    Tuesday, August 6, 2013 9:26 AM
  • Thank you for your suggestion. I went and downloaded the Revo application and now I know where the issue is. For some reason when I installed RC it did not install the uninstall file! Go figure.. The Revo application started and has been running for hours.. I went looking for the uninstall file and it does not appear to be on the machine..

Barry is there some way I can download the uninstall file for Visual Studio 2012 RC? Where is the file supposed to be located so I can place it in the appropriate folder to finally remove it from the hard drive.

• Edited by CodeMonkies Tuesday, August 6, 2013 9:09 PM
    Tuesday, August 6, 2013 8:23 PM
  • Does no reply mean I am on my own and have to re format the hard drive?

Low sales on Surface... hum I wonder why.. could it be the lack of support?

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 5:33 PM
  • Hi CodeMonkies,

I'm sorry I didn't notice this issue.

Acutally if RC is indeed installed on your OS, it has already been registered on your OS.

Without detailed msi info I'll also not able to go on. Let's do something to fix:

1. Click on the Start menu, choose Run and type cmd

2.  Type msiinv.exe > c:\output_file.txt

These steps should cause no text to be printed in the cmd window, but instead it should appear in the text file. Can you get any output now?

"Low sales on Surface... " The problem is occured on Surface?

What's more, can you install any other app? If not, your installer service seems also need to be fixed.

Regards,

Barry Wang

Thursday, August 15, 2013 11:22 AM
  • I know but the text file was empty...

I reran it today now I have data. I followed the steps to remove VS 2012 RC. It states that VS was uninstalled. I went to uninstall programs and guess what it is still there. I reran misexec with the product code now I get the command is only valid for installed products. Ok I went to Windows Installer Cleanup utility it takes me to Mr. Fix it. I run the application it says it corrected the issue. I go back to uninstall programs it is still there. The OS is Win 7.

I was pointing out that the lack of support might be the problem for low Surface sales..

Thursday, August 15, 2013 8:43 PM
  • Hi CodeMonkies,

Sorry I was not allowed to talk about products.

Could you please use use  http://aka.ms/vscollect  to gather the installation logs for me? It will contains a msiinv.txt and some other info. After using it, you will find vslogs.cab from %temp% folder. Please upload the file to https://skydrive.live.com/   and share the link here.

Actually your issue may already pending on the following:

1. When VS RC is installed, it is registered in Control Panel

2. You may have done a corrupt uninstall of RC or you've deleted VS componnets by accident. Which made VS cannot be uninstall from control panel.

I'm not so sure of your steps but if the reason is because missing vs files, you have to submit a support case other than just ask on the forum.

Anyway, please send that log file for me to analyze first.

Regards,

Barry Wang
    <THE CONTENT IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED>
    Thanks
    MSDN Community Support

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is a common way to recognize those who have helped you, and makes it easier for other visitors to find the resolution later.

Friday, August 16, 2013 9:36 AM
  • Update: I finally found the issue. I used Revo Uninstall to try to uninstall the application. Revo could not find the 'default uninstall file' but it located the reference to the product key. Once the product key file was removed the purchased Visual Studio 2013 version was able to start the setup process. My guess is that when the exec file started it checked for the registered product key and this key was being returned as expired and would not allow the process to start. No error was returned nor did I see any expired information. Now Visual Studio is installing. I will never use the RC version again. I solved the issue no thanks to Microsoft.
    • Marked as answer by CodeMonkies Monday, November 11, 2013 12:27 AM
    Monday, November 11, 2013 12:26 AM