i have a task that started lets say at : 1.1.2013 and ended at  3.1.2021

3 days of work 

but in all this 3 days the task was finished in 7 hours 

how can i add this in ms project 

thanks ! 

Sunday, June 9, 2013 9:04 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I think you mean the task ended 3.1.2013 (i.e. after 3 days) and not in 2021?

To enter the task, set start to 1.1; duration to 3 dyas, then assign the resource: work becomes 3 days

Go to the Task Usage vew. In the left part insert the column Remaining Work. Right-Click on the right side of the view, select Actual Work. Now in the Actual Workrow enter 7h for each of the 3 days. Now set Remaining Work to 0. There you are.

Greetings,

Sunday, June 9, 2013 2:29 PM
  • DarXide86,

I interpret your task a little differently than Jan. It sounds like you initially planned a 3 day task but it was finished in just 7 hours total instead of the 24 hours normally associated with a resource working full time on a 3 day task. In that case you would not enter 7h for each of the 3 days. You could spread the 7 total hours over the 3 day duration (e.g. 2.33 hours per day) or simply enter 7h in the Actual Work field for whichever day is appropriate and then zero out the remaining work. Depending on the task type (i.e. fixed duration, fixed work or fixed units), the Gantt Chart display will either show a 1 day duration with a Gantt bar (solid plus dotted line) that extends over the 3 day period (for fixed work or fixed unit), or a 3 day duration with the same Gantt bar representation (for fixed duration), or a 1 day duration and a 1 day Gantt bar (fixed work or fixed units with the 7h on a single day).

So, lots of choices. You might want to try each of the above cases and see which one best represents what you are trying to achieve. Or perhaps Jan's interpretation was correct and you can ignore all this.

John

Sunday, June 9, 2013 6:09 PM