message: Couldn't connect to logcat, GetProcessId returned: 0 RRS feed

• Question

• User4296 posted

Hello... When executing some examples, it shows me the following message: Couldn't connect to logcat, GetProcessId returned: 0 As it is solved?

Thursday, March 14, 2013 1:42 PM

All replies

• User48 posted

Is adb working?

adb devices

Perhaps you need to restart the adb daemon? Alternatively, perhaps you need to install additional device drivers?

Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:02 PM
  • User4296 posted

thank you for your help... but you excuse me the question: How restart the adb daemon?

Friday, March 15, 2013 9:52 PM
  • User48 posted

How restart the adb daemon?

As mention in the troubleshooting section, you can restart adb with:

adb kill-server
    adb start-server

Saturday, March 16, 2013 2:57 AM
  • User34414 posted

I got this error in Visual Studio 2013 when running an app built with the trial version of the "Business" class of Xamarin.Android. At the time I'm writing this response, you need the Business license to use Xamarin with Visual Studio. The trial of that product currently will build apps that only run for 24 hours. Try adb logcat and look for a line like this:

F/MonoDroid( 1932): This installation from the trial license has expired. Please rebuild and reinstall your app.

If you see that, simply rebuild your app and it should run again. You could also create a new Xamarin.Android project just to see if that will run.

Sunday, January 12, 2014 5:55 AM
  • User34253 posted

Thanks for the suggestion. Simply rebuilding the app worked for me. I am running the trial version.

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 2:40 PM
  • User53650 posted

I thought I would add some more information as I too ran into this, but I got the original error message (no mention of licensing).

My issue was switching from Business Editor, to a different trial account. It looks like that part of the package is not detected upon deploy and thus not updated.

I hope this helps Xamarin in some way.

-Patrick

Thursday, May 22, 2014 2:34 PM
  • User74827 posted

Hi guys...."Couldn't connect to logcat, GetProcessId returned: 0" problem was solved.....

Open your application properties Android Manifest -->Required Permission -->Enable ACCESSCOARSELOCATION and INTERNET(tick) Android Options --> Supported Architecture -->Enable armeabi and armeabi-v7a

Thursday, September 18, 2014 6:36 AM
  • User74827 posted

Thursday, September 18, 2014 6:43 AM
  • User74827 posted

Couldn't connect to logcat, GetProcessId returned: 0" problem was solved... if u have any doubts.... find the attachments....

Thursday, September 18, 2014 6:46 AM
  • User1067 posted

Recent solution for me was deactivating "Fast Deployment" in project settings.

Friday, February 27, 2015 4:13 PM
  • User86719 posted

@bspinner's solution works. The manifest and android proposed solution does not.

Monday, March 2, 2015 11:19 PM
  • User93809 posted

+1 I confirm :smile:

@bspinner's solution works. The manifest and android proposed solution does not.

Saturday, March 7, 2015 7:06 PM
  • User56293 posted

+1 For @bspinner - "Recent solution for me was deactivating "Fast Deployment" in project settings."

Friday, April 17, 2015 2:32 PM
  • User131184 posted

Hi all, I seem to be dealing with this issue now and have tried every suggestion in this thread without any luck. Does anyone happen to have any other ideas in mind on how I can resolve this issue? Please let me know, and thank you!

Thursday, May 28, 2015 1:51 PM
  • User139217 posted

Its work @bspinner :wink:

Wednesday, July 1, 2015 1:50 PM
  • User137819 posted

VS2013.. Closing Emulator, Cleaning solution then Running solution worked for me.

Monday, July 13, 2015 3:20 AM
  • User11974 posted

None of the above worked for me, what did work was deselecting 'Use Shared Runtime' in Project Properties > Android Options > Packaging properties

Thursday, July 16, 2015 12:56 PM
  • User147205 posted

as @MichaelEarls say:

Simply rebuilding the app worked for me.

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 7:40 AM
  • User148645 posted

Clean solution and rebuild worked

Friday, August 14, 2015 1:50 AM
  • User141899 posted

@MichaelEarls said: Thanks for the suggestion. Simply rebuilding the app worked for me. I am running the trial version.

Did the trick for me too, thanks!

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 8:27 PM
  • User69649 posted

This surfaced for me when Xamarin studio did a forced upgrade of my solution from android framework 4.0 to android framework 4.0.3. I tried all the above solutions in varying ways all to no avail. Rebooting the device and PC, cleaning preferences etc, all didn't work.

Finally, I twigged and completely deleted the app from the device. Something must have been incompatible because that fixed it. I made sure I backed up my device DB first, because I had a ton of data I wanted to keep for testing purposes. (I needed to have my device rooted to do that though)

Hope this helps some others. Should have thought of it earlier, but because it had been happily debugging for months, it did not occur to me.

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 9:23 PM
  • User136332 posted

I just installed the trail version of Xamarin.Forms 2.0 (preview) today. I am creating the Phoneword tutorial. Note that I am unable to remote login to my Mac, although presumably that shouldn't matter if I am just trying to use the emulator.

I am running VS2015 with Update 1 on Windows 10.

I have tried the AVDGalaxyNexusToolsForApacheCordova emulator and the XamarinAndroidAPI_23 emulator, both launched from VS2015.

I have tried debugging from both VS2015 and Xamarin Studio. In VS2015 the AVDGalaxyNexusToolsForApacheCordova emulator came up with a black screen and I eventually got the "Couldn't connect to logcat" error. In Xamarin Studio, the AVDGalaxyNexusToolsForApacheCordova came up with some sort of metallic-looking Android logo. I never got an error in Xamarin Studio, and I couldn't find an output window where I might see something like the "couldn't connect" error. Eventually I just closed the emulator.

I have one package notification update for Xamarin.Forms in the PhoneWord.Droid\Packages folder. When It try to update it I got this error:

Updating 'Xamarin.Forms' from version '1.3.3.6323' to '2.0.0.6490' in project 'PhoneWord.Droid'. Already referencing a newer version of 'Xamarin.Android.Support.v4'.

Any other suggestions?

Monday, December 21, 2015 12:49 AM
  • User188005 posted

For me worked selecting Microsoft as Debugger, when I run in Debug mode

Friday, January 15, 2016 9:28 AM
  • User148099 posted

For ref: I had this issue, cleaning and rebuilding did not worked with me , however re-installing Xamarin emulator solved the issue.

Monday, March 14, 2016 6:29 PM
  • User222773 posted

Clearing emulator logs by running adb logcat -c did the trick for me!!!

Wednesday, May 11, 2016 12:24 PM
  • User16031 posted

i couldn't solve the problem :( help pleasee

Thursday, May 12, 2016 3:38 AM
  • User245575 posted

the manifest solution worked for me

Thursday, August 18, 2016 12:53 AM
  • User157679 posted

the manifest solution worked for me

Thursday, September 1, 2016 8:08 PM
  • User221181 posted

+1 For @bspinner - "Recent solution for me was deactivating "Fast Deployment" in project settings."

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 2:32 AM
  • User257603 posted

Disabling "Fast Deployment" option works for me

Friday, September 16, 2016 11:35 AM
  • User42522 posted

This thread is so old, 3+ years old as of today August 10th 2016, I am wondering why I faced this issue now. Ah! I tried every solution mentioned in this thread but none worked.

I see one problem here. There are so many solutions for a single issue and none of them worked for me??? That is strange. I feel the real problem is that I feel I don't know the logic behind each of those solutions. It is never explained. Everyone tries different things and just finds a solution by luck.

Probably there is a set combination of properties that need to be present. Since no one presented all the settings, I am sure I am missing something which is contributing to my issue. Unfortunately we all keep trying different things without understanding why that is there.

I am not seeing any professional debugging and resolution. Sorry if I am sounding harsh.

Sunday, October 9, 2016 1:15 AM
  • User148199 posted

None worked for me.

And +1 for the above.

Thursday, October 27, 2016 11:23 AM
  • User276601 posted

Above solutions not woks in Visual Studio 2015

Saturday, November 19, 2016 6:23 AM
  • User244558 posted

@claudiamoreno if u got any above answer to be correct make that as answered . and what i got as the answer was go to Tool>android>restart adb as @JonathanPryor said too

Thursday, December 29, 2016 7:54 AM
  • User78283 posted

@MichaelEarls said: Thanks for the suggestion. Simply rebuilding the app worked for me. I am running the trial version.

Worked for me too

Friday, January 13, 2017 7:55 AM
  • User295081 posted

I started the AVD manager separately and start the emulator from there with "wipe user data" selected

Friday, January 27, 2017 4:36 PM
  • User296234 posted

None of these solutions worked for me. Until something works, I can't use Xamarin at all.

Wednesday, February 1, 2017 3:40 AM
  • User297871 posted

i tried all the above but nothing worked

Saturday, February 11, 2017 11:41 PM
  • User280913 posted

Limpar a solução e reiniciar o servidor Adb funciona.

para reiniciar: Ferramentas => Android => Reiniciar servidor Adb

caso não saiba como limpar a solução, clique com o botão direito na "Solução", não no projeto. quando abrir o menu suspenso clique em "Limpar Solução". depois é só recopilar

Monday, March 20, 2017 1:55 PM
  • User1067 posted

@DeyvidyBraz said: Limpar a solução e reiniciar o servidor Adb funciona.

caso não saiba como limpar a solução, clique com o botão direito na "Solução", não no projeto. quando abrir o menu suspenso clique em "Limpar Solução". depois é só recopilar

looks like your bablefish is broken... :smiley:

Monday, March 20, 2017 2:08 PM
  • User280913 posted

@BorisSpinner said:

@DeyvidyBraz said: Limpar a solução e reiniciar o servidor Adb funciona.

looks like your bablefish is broken... :smiley:

No, I wrote in Portuguese so Brazilians see a solution (also Brazilian too)

Saturday, March 25, 2017 7:59 PM
  • User311101 posted

@Xasanrah said:

Worked for me too

@vinothini said: Hi guys...."Couldn't connect to logcat, GetProcessId returned: 0" problem was solved.....

Open your application properties Android Manifest -->Required Permission -->Enable ACCESSCOARSELOCATION and INTERNET(tick) Android Options --> Supported Architecture -->Enable armeabi and armeabi-v7a

this worked for me. Thanks!!

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 10:37 AM
  • User113886 posted

deselecting 'Use Shared Runtime' in Project Properties > Android Options > Packaging properties worked for me

Saturday, May 20, 2017 1:43 AM
  • User300023 posted

@tingli said: deselecting 'Use Shared Runtime' in Project Properties > Android Options > Packaging properties worked for me

Actually, deselecting 'Use Fast Deployment (debug mode only)' is sufficient, but it might be a good idea deselecting 'Use Shared Runtime' altogether (unless you use it, of course).

Thursday, June 8, 2017 9:14 AM
  • User89714 posted

@ShantimohanElchuri - Did you investigate this further? I have just been doing some testing on my Amazon Fire, and the application that runs fine on every other Android device I have access to, fails when I try running/debugging it on the Amazon Fire, failing with the logcat error.

I've never seen any guidance on using Xamarin.Forms with Amazon Fire, but other than not having a working splash screen yet, this logcat thing is the only problem I have hit relating to Amazon Fire.

Tuesday, July 4, 2017 5:31 PM
  • User42522 posted

Sorry @JohnHardman I don't this error anymore. I don't even remember how it vanished in my case (I think, I should be organized better than now).

Wednesday, July 5, 2017 2:00 PM
  • User341850 posted

@infoMantis said: Recent solution for me was deactivating "Fast Deployment" in project settings.

it's works buddy

Sunday, August 20, 2017 1:09 AM
  • User151034 posted

@muftahsaleh said: i tried all the above but nothing worked

same for me

edit: unchecking fast deployment fixed it.

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 7:41 AM
  • User113538 posted

BenMessenger's solution work for me - Delete the app on the target device

Thursday, September 14, 2017 9:22 AM
  • User93258 posted

Ditto "BenMessenger's solution work for me - Delete the app on the target device"

Thursday, November 16, 2017 10:46 PM
  • User297649 posted

Open Androidmanifest ?

Required Permission ? Enable ACCESSCOARSELOCATION and INTERNET(tick). Android Options ? Supported Architecture ? Enable armeabi and armeabi-v7a Android Options ? Packing Tab ? Use Fast Deployment(debug mode only) [uncheck] Sometimes the application or the IDE requires internet access and the application not getting the permission. In such cases we have to give the permission manually to solve the issue.

armeabi and armeabi-v7a are the types of cpu like 32bit and 64 bit processor. When we are try to deploy in armeabi/armeabi-v7a ,the code version is the opposite. In order to solve this issue we have to enable both armeabi and armeabi-v7a.

Fast Deployment in debug mode means only the changed code source are converted to object file and those files are deployed in mobile. So this will be inconsistent with other object files which may cause the connectivity problem.

Thursday, December 21, 2017 1:22 AM
  • User297649 posted

I have solved this issue in another way as well. Step 1: Right-click on your android project and go to Property. Step 2: Go to Application and change Target Framework from Android 8.0 Oreo to Android 7.1 Nougat. Step 3: Clean and Build the Solution.

That's it :)

Thursday, December 21, 2017 4:11 AM
  • User354499 posted

@sherazkhan said: I have solved this issue in another way as well. Step 1: Right-click on your android project and go to Property. Step 2: Go to Application and change Target Framework from Android 8.0 Oreo to Android 7.1 Nougat. Step 3: Clean and Build the Solution.

Thanks!

And as you pointed out, removing Fast Deployment in debug is often just a symptom of a greater issue. In my case this all stemmed from Xamarin version upgrade on a certain dev machine where a build was completed using an older version (files stuck in temp and various other issues / resolutions posted here). I was also seeing the Targeted Version conflict error (which the dev was ignoring)

You want to use Fast Deployment if possible. If that "fixes" the issue, the cause is likely something else. In my case, a clean of temp data (C:\Users\me\AppData\Local\Temp\MonoAndroid,Version=v7.1.AssemblyAttributes.cs), cleaning the project, changing the target framework and removing the original app from + restarting Visual Studio all together seems to have worked.

Saturday, December 30, 2017 10:31 PM
  • User363976 posted

@sherazkhan said: I have solved this issue in another way as well. Step 1: Right-click on your android project and go to Property. Step 2: Go to Application and change Target Framework from Android 8.0 Oreo to Android 7.1 Nougat. Step 3: Clean and Build the Solution.

great!! This is work for me.But I am change Target Framework from Andriod 7 to Android 6

Thursday, January 4, 2018 1:19 AM
  • User313545 posted

Got this issue now for almost 3 Hours can't solve it, someone new suggestion?

Thursday, January 4, 2018 2:34 PM
  • User5868 posted

Error: Android application is debugging. Couldn't connect to logcat, GetProcessId returned: 0 I noticed often after upgrading "Xamarin SDK in VisualStudio" or "SDK version in project".

Anyway - seems that REALLY DEEP CLEANING can help: - on Android device - remove: - old app - Xamarin libs that are visible in Application Manager, eg: like Xamarin.Androi API-26 Support - on project level - do "Clean" on solution level - remove all cached libs in /packages (mixes old and new AndroidSupportLib ..)

Set project properties as on screenshots.

Cheers GT

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 1:36 PM
  • User265270 posted

+1 for @FionaC

Wednesday, January 24, 2018 8:33 AM
  • User265270 posted

@FionaC said: None of the above worked for me, what did work was deselecting 'Use Shared Runtime' in Project Properties > Android Options > Packaging properties

+1 :)

Wednesday, January 24, 2018 8:34 AM
  • User51635 posted

I tried everything mentioned here, nothing worked until I deleted the app on the target device (emulator). Hard to say whether that alone fixed it, or if it was a combination of that and the other things I tried previously...

Monday, January 29, 2018 12:31 PM
  • User368726 posted

Just today (18th May 2018) Visual Studio did a 5.9GB update to 5.7.1 and my perfectly working xamarin app stopped working entirely via the Android emulator with the output "Couldn't connect to logcat, GetProcessId returned: 0".

Most of these suggestions did nothing for me, and why would they? For example why would you need to stop using the Fast deployment option when it's been working fine all this time?

However ThorvaldBoe's suggestion of uninstalling the app on the emulator itself allowed it to then work once again on the next attempt. Thanks!

I can't imagine why the regular build and deploy of the app doesn't update all necessary files to make it run properly.

Friday, May 18, 2018 7:55 AM
  • User368412 posted

I know this issues is old, and I had this error and find this issues, but for me only way to solve this issues was delete and re-create the Android device.

Sunday, June 10, 2018 2:40 AM
  • User366019 posted

This just showed up today June 12th on a previously working simple test project. Required removing app from emulator using settings.

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 1:06 PM
  • User316882 posted

Resetting the device (from the Android Device Manager: Tools > Android > Android Device Manager...) did the trick for me.

Tuesday, July 10, 2018 3:24 PM
  • User372389 posted

Solved for me by simply uninstalling the dev app on the virtual device. (This issue occured when i updated Xamarin.Forms to the latest version 3.1.0.697729)

Thursday, August 16, 2018 9:54 AM
  • User379589 posted

Deactivating fast deployment works for me

Wednesday, November 14, 2018 8:42 AM
  • User176749 posted

@JohnHardman said: @ShantimohanElchuri - Did you investigate this further? I have just been doing some testing on my Amazon Fire, and the application that runs fine on every other Android device I have access to, fails when I try running/debugging it on the Amazon Fire, failing with the logcat error.

I've never seen any guidance on using Xamarin.Forms with Amazon Fire, but other than not having a working splash screen yet, this logcat thing is the only problem I have hit relating to Amazon Fire.

i have exactly this now. it works on emulators but when i try to run on my device, it fails with this error. long time indeed but do you remember how you solved it?

Saturday, December 22, 2018 2:11 PM
  • User89714 posted

@batmaci - Sorry, I don't remember. I did resolve it, but didn't make a note of how.

Saturday, December 22, 2018 3:16 PM
  • User176749 posted

@JohnHardman said: @batmaci - Sorry, I don't remember. I did resolve it, but didn't make a note of how.

haha i finally found it. it silly me. it was new device and i forgot to enable developer mode->usb debugging. Actually without enabling it, you can install app on your device but Vs throws the connection out and it wont debug. it will show this error.

Saturday, December 22, 2018 11:26 PM
  • User361715 posted
    1. deselecting 'Use Shared Runtime' in Project Properties > Android Options
    2. delete bin & obj files from solution
    3. clean solution
    4. rebuild the solution it works
    Friday, March 8, 2019 10:55 AM
  • User383617 posted

None of the solutions worked for me.

All I had to do is update Visual Studio 2017 to the latest version

Tuesday, March 19, 2019 10:36 AM
  • User272328 posted

Just Clean Solution and Rebuild

Friday, April 26, 2019 11:18 AM
  • User386620 posted

What I found was the problem was that I changed the Application:Name in the AndroidManifest.xml file within the tag. deleting this the Application:Name fixed my problem.

not sure why this caused this problem. not sure why I typed it there. (I'm still a beginner :# ) hope it might help someone that's also stuck on this problem.

Friday, June 14, 2019 11:32 AM
  • User156231 posted

Hello,

After a code change, I got this error trying to debug on my personal HUAWEI ANE-LX1 Android 9.0 - API 28 I had not updated VS when this error happened first. I can debug the UWP project and the Android project on the emulator though.

I tried: - to uncheck the "Use Fast Deployment" in the Android Project properties, Android Options - to clean solution, - to delete BIN and OBJ files, - to unistall app on my phone, - to uninstall API28 on my phone, - to update VS and Xamarin, - to update Nuget packages, - to unload android project, to compile the .NET Standard 2.0 project and to reload the Android project - to uncheck the "Use Shared Runtime in the Android Project properties, Android Options

Nothing worked. I cannot debug on my phone anymore :-(

Monday, April 6, 2020 9:33 PM