none
How does Outlook determine it's connection status with Exchange? RRS feed

• Question

• If you were to unplug your network cable while Outlook 2013 is running, you would eventually see the text "DISCONNECTED" at the bottom of the screen.  When the network becomes available once again you see the text "CONNECTED TO MICROSOFT EXCHANGE"

We're using Outlook in cached mode, and I'm aware that I can inspect the "ExchangeConnectionMode" property to determine the Exchange Connection status.

What I'd like to know is what exactly is Outlook doing in the background, in order to determine it's connected state?  Is it periodically sending a ping (ICMP echo test) to the primary Exchange Server, or perhaps there's an event that it's trapping?  Perhaps SNMP traps are used?

NOTE:  I'm looking to find out what Outlook, or Exchange is doing.  I've already covered the various methods of network detection in a previous thread.

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 7:07 PM

Answers

• Hi GermanH,

>> The question is "How" does it track the network connection

Office is not Open source project, and Office developing team does not share this information.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by GermanEZI Thursday, April 7, 2016 4:17 AM
    Thursday, April 7, 2016 2:05 AM

All replies

• Hello German,

I am not a member of the Outlook team, but I bielive Outlook track the network connection, and if it is available tries to connect to the server.

[custom.development]

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 8:15 PM
  • The question is "How" does it track the network connection.

I just found something on "AutoDiscover" service.  Hopefully that might lead to something I can use.

http://searchexchange.techtarget.com/tip/How-to-troubleshoot-Exchange-Autodiscover-service-issues

Wednesday, April 6, 2016 8:30 PM
  • Hi GermanH,

>> The question is "How" does it track the network connection

Office is not Open source project, and Office developing team does not share this information.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by GermanEZI Thursday, April 7, 2016 4:17 AM
    Thursday, April 7, 2016 2:05 AM
  • Fair enough.  Thanks for the response. 
    Thursday, April 7, 2016 4:17 AM