Visual Studio Community 2015 Installation Issues RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I am having some trouble installing Visual Studio Community 2015 on my laptop. It currently runs on Windows 7. 

At first I was able to download it without any issues but then the trial period ran out and I wasn't able to log in to obtain a liciense. What I did instead was to try to uninstall Visual Studio and then reinstall it in hopes that I can log in when it asks to in order to get the liciense. However, this did not go as plan and I had to remove it with other "methods". 

Now I am trying to reinstall it but I keep getting a "fatal error during installation" message, which reads, "KB2829760, Fatal error during installation". 

I need any help possible. 

Thursday, November 26, 2015 3:36 PM

Answers

• Hi nick,

Thank you for sharing the steps you tried.

If you decide to do the system restore, I think you need to back up all the important files on your machine. I agree with you that formatting your machine is better than trying to do the troubleshooting, then re-install VS community RTM version, I think a clear environment will be more helpful. Formatting OS will also save your much time.

Best Regards,

Wen

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Proposed as answer by 宝宝徐 Wednesday, December 2, 2015 8:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by 宝宝徐 Tuesday, December 8, 2015 8:24 AM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2015 9:46 AM

All replies

• Hello All,

I am having some trouble installing Visual Studio Community 2015 on my laptop. It currently runs on Windows 7. 

At first I was able to download it without any issues but then the trial period ran out and I wasn't able to log in to obtain a liciense. What I did instead was to try to uninstall Visual Studio and then reinstall it in hopes that I can log in when it asks to in order to get the liciense. However, this did not go as plan and I had to remove it with other "methods". 

Now I am trying to reinstall it but I keep getting a "fatal error during installation" message, which reads, "KB2829760, Fatal error during installation". 

I need any help possible. 

Try forcing a compete removal of any vestiges of the last installation. Assuming the VS distribution disk is M:, try:

m:\vs_enterprise.exe /uninstall /force

The name vs_enterprise.exe may be vs_ultimate.exe for the ultimate version. I don't know offhand what the name is for the community version, but I'm sure you can figure it out.

Thursday, November 26, 2015 3:50 PM
  • Hello Brian, 

Where exactly do I type the command in? Do I simply run it? Or do I have to do that in the command prompt window?

Thank You 

Thursday, November 26, 2015 3:55 PM
  • I've attached my log file. There are multiple errors but I'm not sure which one to look at in order to take care of this issue. 

My Log File:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qn07wwoiax9fmal/dd_vs_community_20151126050816.log?dl=0

Thursday, November 26, 2015 6:20 PM
  • Hello Brian, 

Where exactly do I type the command in? Do I simply run it? Or do I have to do that in the command prompt window?

Thank You 

In a console window (cmd.exe)
    Thursday, November 26, 2015 7:51 PM
  • Hi Nick,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

I check the log you offered and found the error message below:

0:080C][2015-11-26T05:51:37]i000: MUX:  ExecuteError: Package (vc_kb2829760_patch_D12) failed: Error Message Id: 1712 ErrorMessage: Error 1712.One or more of the files required to restore your computer to its previous state could not be found.  Restoration will not be possible.
    [0154:1148][2015-11-26T05:51:39]e000: Error 0x80070643: Failed to uninstall MSP package.
    [0154:1148][2015-11-26T05:51:39]e000: Error 0x80070643: Failed to execute MSP package.
    [17A0:080C][2015-11-26T05:51:39]e000: Error 0x80070643: Failed to configure per-machine MSP package.
    [17A0:080C][2015-11-26T05:51:39]i000: MUX:  Installation size in bytes for package: vc_kb2829760_patch_D12 MaxAppDrive: 0  MaxSysDrive: 38686720  AppDrive: 0  SysDrive: 8527872
    [17A0:080C][2015-11-26T05:51:39]i000: MUX:  Return Code:0x80070643 Msi Messages:Error 1911.Could not register type library for file C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\Packages\Compsvcspkg.dll.  Contact your support personnel. Result Detail:0 Restart:None

[17A0:080C][2015-11-26T05:51:39]e000: Error 0x80070643: Failed to execute MSP package.

In my point of view there are two possible reasons:

1. The DLL has problem. Please make sure that your network environment do not have problem so that you can download the good iso file to install or uninstall.

2. The problem is related to your system. To fix this, please try to open your run prompt by type run. 

Please  type regsvr32 and then drag your dll after the regsvr32. So the command will looks like this:

regsvr32 xxx.dll

You may refer to here:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490985.aspx

If you can register the dll, try run your installer again. If you cannot register the dll, please share the info you get.

Best Regards,

Wen Xu

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Friday, November 27, 2015 1:56 AM
  • Hello Wen,

I am not sure if I'm understanding your solution correctly. I typed in "run" in the start menu and brought up the run program. Once the run program was opened this is where I got confused. You told me to type in regsvr32 xxx.dll and then run it but I am not sure what the xxx's signifiy. So I ran it with the xxx's in place and got an error message and afterwards I copied, C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\Packages\Compsvcspkg.dll, copied and ran it, still getting an error message. 

So I am not sure if I was able to correctly register the .dll but with both cases I got an error message saying, "The module 'C:\Program' failed to load. Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or depended .DLL files. The specified module could not be found."

Thank You

EDIT: 

I have tried using the Microsoft "Fix It Solution" tool which can be obtained from this address, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/976982. However, even after trying to fix the .NET Framwork 4.6 which I have searched to be the issue, nothing is still resolved. I even tried "fixing" the "Visual Studio Community 2015 - ENU" to see if that would absolve the problem but nothing happened from that as well. Am I supposed to be looking for something specific?

Help?

• Edited by nick60444 Friday, November 27, 2015 6:22 PM Documenting more attempts
    Friday, November 27, 2015 9:17 AM
  • Hello Wen,

It seems  that there might be a registry error. In an attempt to fix the problem myself, I decided to go through the registry and program files and get rid of all the files pertaining to Visual Studio in order to download it again "fresh" since I was having trouble uninstalling it before. However, now that I went through the log file that you posted and saw that I was missing that folder you mentioned, C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\Packages\Compsvcspkg.dll, I went through the recycle bin and found the deleted program files and restored them back to their previous location(s). Afterwards, I attempted another installation but still got the same error message. I opened up the log file and checked the location and I see that I still don't have that such file.

Another note, when I tried doing a system restore to try and take me back to a time before I started removing things from the registry, it told me that I wasn't able to. So now I'm in an odd situation.

Would upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 10 fix my registry issue? This might have turned into a registry issue now...

Thanks 

Friday, November 27, 2015 10:52 PM
  • Hi nick,

Thank you for sharing the steps you tried.

If you decide to do the system restore, I think you need to back up all the important files on your machine. I agree with you that formatting your machine is better than trying to do the troubleshooting, then re-install VS community RTM version, I think a clear environment will be more helpful. Formatting OS will also save your much time.

Best Regards,

Wen

• Proposed as answer by 宝宝徐 Wednesday, December 2, 2015 8:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by 宝宝徐 Tuesday, December 8, 2015 8:24 AM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2015 9:46 AM