TFS 2008 to 2012 Upgrade Question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

Plan A :We were planning to Upgrade from TFS 2008 to 2012 (Migration based upgrade) in next few  weeks. The actual plan was to do a Production Upgrade but since we are having challenges with the management and other dev teams to get the approval as we wanted to introduce Branching and Merging and build automation along with the Upgrade.

Since there is a delay in doing the actual Production Upgrade , we are thinking of Plan B(as below).

Question : Plan B--Can we do the cloning of the actual Production TFS 2008 server(both App tier and DB tier are on same box) and then consider the cloned one as our test server and do the Test Upgrade. Our primary goal is to find out the roadblocks/issues we come across during the Upgrade process and then convince the upper management.

Please let me know the issues( with regards to services/port issues) I may encounter if I do the Cloning of Prod TFS 2008 server or Is there a better approach to perform the same. Thanks

Regards,

Rahman.

Monday, September 15, 2014 3:22 PM

Answers

• HiRahman, 

Thanks for your post.                  

To clone your current TFS 2008 Server to generate the test server on new hardware, please refer to the steps in this document: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms404869(v=vs.90).aspx.

Daniel, as far as I know we cannot upgrade from TFS 2008 to TFS 2013 directly, please refer to the information in this document: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd631912(v=vs.120).aspx.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by Rahman Syed Tuesday, September 16, 2014 4:16 PM
    Tuesday, September 16, 2014 5:47 AM

All replies

• hi Rahman

take the time to read the recently released  TFS Upgrade Guide by Visual Studio ALM Rangers

we need some additional info:

- how big is your TFS database

- are you using Reporting

- are you using Sharepoint

- are you using special configured build environment

- which process template have you used for your project and have you customized it

- do you need to keep the complete history and work items or can you just copy the latest version

- why do you want to upgrade to TFS 2012 and not directly to TFS 2013 as the steps are the same  (this statement is not completely true as there's a direct upgrade path from TFS 2008 to TFS 2012 but not to TFS 2013)

Please use Mark as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

• Edited by Daniel_Steiner Tuesday, September 16, 2014 9:08 AM correct statement about upgrade steps
    Monday, September 15, 2014 6:49 PM
  • HiRahman, 

Thanks for your post.                  

To clone your current TFS 2008 Server to generate the test server on new hardware, please refer to the steps in this document: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms404869(v=vs.90).aspx.

Daniel, as far as I know we cannot upgrade from TFS 2008 to TFS 2013 directly, please refer to the information in this document: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd631912(v=vs.120).aspx.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

• Marked as answer by Rahman Syed Tuesday, September 16, 2014 4:16 PM
    Tuesday, September 16, 2014 5:47 AM

• Daniel, as far as I know we cannot upgrade from TFS 2008 to TFS 2013 directly, please refer to the information in this document: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd631912(v=vs.120).aspx.

hi John

you're right there's direct upgrade from TFS 2008 to TFS 2012 but not direct path from TFS 2008 to TFS 2013.

therefore ugprading to TFS 2013 requires an additional step: upgrade from TFS 2012 to TFS 2013 but I would certainly be worse the effort especially if Rahman likes to profit from future updates to TFS 2013 and newer versions.

Please use Mark as Answer if my post solved your problem and use Vote As Helpful if a post was useful.

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 9:06 AM
  • Hi Daniel, 

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, there need the additional steps if Rahman want upgrade to TFS 2013.

All your participation and support are very important to build such harmonious/ pleasant / learning environment for MSDN community.

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 10:19 AM