How is the Multilingual App Toolkit used?

Question

• I have absolutely no clue how this is used? You can "enable" it via the Tools Menu and then what?
    • Edited by phil_ke Tuesday, July 3, 2012 8:50 AM
    Tuesday, July 3, 2012 8:49 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Phil,

the best walkthrough I used on another issue back during the beta was on Tim Heuer's blog -

http://timheuer.com/blog/archive/2012/04/26/localize-windows-8-application.aspx

Check out the section Multilingual App Toolkit.

much appreciated,

mike

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 9:59 PM
  • Hi Phil,

We have a series of short videos on Channel 9 that demonstrate how to get started with the Multilingual App Toolkit, you can find them here:

http://channel9.msdn.com/posts/Introduction-to-the-Multilingual-App-Toolkit

There are links in this intro video to other in the series.

Thanks,

Jan

Thursday, September 20, 2012 6:22 PM
  • Thank, will look into it. Last time I checked the toolkit it was very unstable and complicated to use.

I think we will develop our own web-based solution for i18n WinJS apps.

Friday, September 21, 2012 6:06 PM
  • Please install the RTW version.  The stability has been greatly improved since the preview releases.
    Friday, September 21, 2012 9:23 PM
  • Just wanted to let you know that a new version of the Multilingual App Toolkit has been released.  The version is v1.1.1075.0 as displayed in the VS IDE Extensions and Updates dialog.

Tuesday, November 6, 2012 7:36 AM
  • Thanks for the update. Might give it another spin. However we prefer a online solution for now, where translators can simply log in and change texts without installing VS2012.
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 9:08 AM
  • While the toolkit does not have an online option, translators do not need Visual Studio.  If the Toolkit is installed without Visual Studio, only the editor is installed.

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 3:09 PM
  • If you have already successfully translated in windows phone.

In Windows 8 it's different 

You need to create a folder named Strings, and inside the strings folder create a folder for each language you are using. For English the folder would be named en-US.

Instead of the ResX here we need ResW so ...

Create a new resW file inside the language folder and here are your familiar strings to translate.

Now unlike windows phone where you bind app resources to the text field.

Here you must fill the text like so.

ResourceLoader resourceLoader = new ResourceLoader();
                string String1 = resourceLoader.GetString("String1");

this will return your translated text from the xlf files. After that it is simple as setting it like so

textBox1.Text = String1;

Make sure that textBox1 has this also x:Uid="String1"

you can still put any placeholder text in the text field.

Now you can click on any of the added languages and it will find all your set strings to translate.

Sunday, February 16, 2014 9:16 PM