The server extensions were unable to access the file frontpg.lck RRS feed

• Question

• User1695060007 posted

We have an IIS6 Website with FrontPage Server Extensions 2002 installed.

Our Website has many subwebs, each authored by a specific group. Some of our authors use FrontPage 2003 and some use Sharepoint Designer 2007.

Our subweb authors using Sharepoint Designer are unable to delete files in their subwebs. When they try to delete a file, they get the error message:

The server extensions were unable to access the file frontpg.lck

They get this error, even though they have author privileges. I've tried elevating their privileges to administrator and even that doesn't work.

I found the frontpg.lck file. It is in the (hidden) _vti_pvt folder in the parent Web (subweb authors do NOT have permission to edit the parent Web).

As a work around, I changed the security permissions on the frontpg.lck file to gave one of the subweb author groups read/write permission to that file. They can now delete files in their subweb, but is there a cleaner (correct) way to solve this problem?

Thanks for any ideas!

Thursday, December 17, 2009 1:51 PM

Answers

• User1073881637 posted

boy.  It's been a while since working with FPSE.   I recall FPSE having a mind of it's own when it came to NTFS permissions.  I would try a check and fix to see if FPSE corrects itself.  Millage may vary so be careful, if you have another test box where you can repro the error, that would be beneficial.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, December 19, 2009 3:47 AM