none
old projects not available after the new updated VS installation though I see the project names in the recent projects

Question

• Dear MSDN doctors out there!

I have a dozen of old projects(programs) and they show in the list of the recent project at the VS home screen.

When I click on one of them to open and edit, the system says it is not there.  And I opened the project drop down,

I do not see any of the list shown in the recent project list from the act of opening the projects..  

Please guide me to fetch the old projects back, if it is possible,  and make them available for review and edit.

Your assistance be much appreciated!

CBO

cbo

Saturday, October 29, 2016 11:13 AM

Answers

• Hi poosung,

Thank you for your update, refer to your shared error message, I recommend you remove those lists from the Recent, then manually open those projects through double click the corresponding .sln file, which should locates under the root folder of your projects location like the following.

Please have a look at this similar issue: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19143101/project-that-i-just-opened-could-not-be-opened

Casey: The link that is stored in the memory for Visual Studio, is now different. This is the only way that could happen. So, remove it from the pinned recent solutions, open it manually, and then it will have the correct linkage in the Visual Studio menu.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 9:11 AM

All replies

• Hi poosung,

Thank you for posting here.

Since your issue is related to VS general issue. I will move the case to there.

if you have some program error. please feel free to contact us.

I hope you can understand us.

Best Regards,

Hart

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 31, 2016 1:44 AM
  • Hi poosung,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

>>When I click on one of them to open and edit, the system says it is not there.

Refer to the error message, please try to confirm the existing of this project. You can right click the project name and select ‘Open Containing Folder’ which will popups the project store folder of this project. If it is existing, please double click the .sln to open this solution, that means this issue is related to the recent list in the VS start page, and you can remove it from the Recent list by right click the project name and select ‘Remove From List’ for other solutions. Directly open those solutions though the corresponding .sln in the solution store folders, then the Recent list will auto create again.

If you cannot open those solutions through the .sln, please share the detail error message in VS and it will help us to analysis this issue.

>>And I opened the project drop down, I do not see any of the list shown in the recent project list from the act of opening the projects..  

Could you please share the screenshots in here, it will help us to understand your current condition.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 10:16 AM
  • Dear Sara,

Thanks for your effort of helping me on this issue!

I clicked right on one of the project listed in the Recent list.   Nothing happened.  I.e. no folder opened.

The error message is ""bankincludetest 1.0"(= project name) could not be opened.   Do you want to remove the reference to it from the Recent lists?"

Once again, thanks for your guide!

cbo

cbo

Tuesday, November 1, 2016 8:22 PM
  • Hi poosung,

Thank you for your update, refer to your shared error message, I recommend you remove those lists from the Recent, then manually open those projects through double click the corresponding .sln file, which should locates under the root folder of your projects location like the following.

Please have a look at this similar issue: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19143101/project-that-i-just-opened-could-not-be-opened

Casey: The link that is stored in the memory for Visual Studio, is now different. This is the only way that could happen. So, remove it from the pinned recent solutions, open it manually, and then it will have the correct linkage in the Visual Studio menu.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 9:11 AM
  • Dear Sara,

I got the hint from you and searched the backup file in through the suggested path.

Within the "Projects", the monsters were hiding themselves.   So, I copied them to the new Document/VS 2015/Projects.

My grateful feeling is beyond description.

Once again, thanks,

cbo

cbo

Friday, November 4, 2016 10:24 PM
  • Hi cbo,

I'm so glad to hear that your issue is solved and thank you very much for your sharing, it will help other community member who have the same issue.

BTW, if you think your reply is helpful, please mark it as answer and that will help them to easier search your solution, thank you for your understanding.

If you have any other issues, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Monday, November 7, 2016 1:19 AM