none
Want my powerpoint addin loaded also in safe mode RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I developed a "local machine" addin for powerpoint through an addin + setup project. Addin has LoadBehavior = 3 and ALLUSERS=1.

It works well.

Company users must NOT disable it and in fact they cannot unload it because they are NOT administrators of the computer.

However it is enough to start "POWERPNT.EXE /safe" and this addin is NOT loaded by default, bypassing the entire process.

I noticed that others addins (Adobe PDF Maker or Chinese Translation addin) are correctly loaded even if safe mode is started.

tl;dr How can I configure my powerpoint addin to be loaded also in safe mode ?

Thanks.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 1:07 PM

All replies

• Hello Fabri,

Running the application in 'safe mode' disables all user installed add-ons at once. All add-ons that were disabled when you entered Safe Mode will be re-enabled when you exit Safe Mode.

Are you sure that PowerPoint is started in the safe mode? See Command-line switches for PowerPoint 2007 and the PowerPoint Viewer 2007 for available command line switches, there is no "/safe".

Could you specify the Office version?

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 2:33 PM
  • Hi Eugene,

I can confirm that running "POWERPNT.EXE /safe" from command line or holding CTRL key while starting powerpoint 2007 causes powerpoint running in safe mode. (I can see it also in title bar (Safe mode).
    (here is a link for 2013 version but I can confirm it works in 2007 too)

My addin is actually unloaded .. but the others are loaded and perfectly running ! (Adobe PDF Maker or Chinese Translation addin for example).

I am trying to understand how configure and/or deploy my addin the same way.

PLease note that I installed it into HKLM (not user related, but machine related instead).

Thanks for help.

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 2:49 PM
  • Hi Fabri,

What can you see if you go to Developer tab>COM AddIns?

By default, the Add-In developed with VSTO will not be loaded in safe mode. It's temporarily disabled when the application is started. I guess the other add-ins that are loaded in safe mode is different from the VSTO add-in you've developed, they might have different load behavior against safe mode.

As I'm short of the knowledge of the legacy add-ins, I can't give you detailed explanation of how those add-ins work in safe mode. But I'll involve some other engineers into this problem. When we have any updates, we'll come back.

Thanks for your understanding.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, March 26, 2015 3:40 AM
  • Hi Caillen and thanks for reply.

It is GREATLY appreciated if you will be able to point me in right direction.

I recap my will:

- my add-in has to be a machine-level add-in (HKLM) and has to NO be unloaded when in safe mode.

Thanks for your help.

Thursday, March 26, 2015 8:10 AM
  • It doesn't matter what hive was used for registering the add-in. The Office application decides whether to load add-ins or not.

Are you sure that other add-in were loaded? Did you have a chance to check out the list of COM add-ins?

Thursday, March 26, 2015 12:47 PM
  • I am sure that other add-in are loaded.

Here is a screenshot:

I am so near to my achievement.

Friday, March 27, 2015 8:01 AM
  • Hi Caillen Zhong,

any news related to topic ?

Thanks.

Monday, March 30, 2015 7:48 AM
  • Sorry Fabri, I'm afraid that we are not able to make the managed VSTO add-ins loaded in safe mode. The Adobe and translation add-in should be other kind of add-ins that are different from the VSTO add-ins. These add-ins have different load behavior in safe mode.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Monday, March 30, 2015 9:23 AM
  • Hi,

can you please try to ask which technology should I use to build add-in like Adobe and translation ?

Help is very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Monday, March 30, 2015 9:43 AM
  • I'm trying to involve some other engineers into your case, because I don't know much about the other COM add-in technologies. Please be patient.

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 9:08 AM
  • Hello Fabri,

It looks like this is a bug in PowerPoint. I have just tested non-VSTO based add-ins registered in HKCU or HKLM hives in the windows registry. Both of them are visible in the COM Add-ins dialog shown on your screenshot, but they are not working (a ribbon UI was not loaded).

Tuesday, March 31, 2015 10:35 AM
  • I am facing the same issue.

Microsoft/MSDN support is really bad. There is no satisfactory answer to this question

Monday, May 29, 2017 3:09 PM