how to reload default Excel VSTO add-in Setup project RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,
    I'm developing Excel VSTO application-level add-ins. When an add-in project was initially created in Visual Studio 2005, there is a default Setup Project for this Add-in which produces .msi installation file. However, I mistakenly removed this Setup Project from the entire solution. Now I still can see the two subfolders one for my add-in and one for the setup project (eg. MyAddin, MyAddinSetup) in my solution folder. But it seems that there is no way to add this default Setup project back to the solution. But I need rebuild this Setup project to produce .msi installtion file for the latest add-in. I appreciate if anyone could help me with this problem. Thanks a lot!
    Tuesday, April 14, 2009 6:11 AM

All replies

• Check the thread below about how to create a MSI setup project for VSTO Addins
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/vsto/thread/514d6278-d7df-47c1-9e11-08a5a4c43ca4/

Navneet
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 5:46 PM
  • Hi Navneet,
    Thanks a lot for the reply. It's very useful. But if I need the .msi immediately, Is there any way to get the original Setup project instead of making a new one? Thanks.
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 8:59 PM
  • Create a new project is very easy. If you have the *.*proj file in the Setup folder, you can Add Existing project to the solution and you will be ready to go.
    Navneet
    Wednesday, April 15, 2009 11:06 PM
  • Thanks Navneet.
    For example the name of my add-in is MyAddin. So now I have a solution folder MyAddin. In this folder, I have two subfolders: MyAddin(for MyAddin project) and MyAddinSetup (Setup project that Visual Studio created automatically when I created the add-in). I tried to add the Setup project back to the add-in solution, but I cannot find .proj file in MyAddinSetup folder. Under MyAddinSetup  folder, I only have a file named MyAddinSetup with no extension. I remember that I removed the MyAddinSetup project from the solution in the solution window, but I didn't delete anything in the folder. So can you advise on how to find the *.*proj file for the Setup project? Thanks!
    Friday, April 17, 2009 5:13 PM
  • You might have the option enabled that hides extensions of the well known file types. Uncheck Windows Explorer -> Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> "Hide extensions for known file types"

Right click on your solution file in VS and do Add Existing project and add the MyAddInSetup.vdproj file.

Navneet
    Friday, April 17, 2009 10:24 PM
  • I double checked the "Hide extensions for known file types" in the Windows Explorer settings. It is not enabled. Do you have any other ideas?
    Friday, April 17, 2009 10:58 PM