locked
Started getting a "Unable to establish secure connection with the server" error RRS feed

  • Question

  • User-900017823 posted

    I've been working on revising this ASP.NET 2.0 app for the last couple of days.  We've got Windows XP Professional PCs with SP2 installed, and we do our development on those machines.  Yesterday I was working on some of the .aspx pages, saved the changes and ran them, and everything was just fine.  It worked perfectly.  I authenticated against our Active Directory just fine.  However, today when I tried to test it some more I got the following error message, "Unable to establish secure connection with the server" and it highlights the type attribute from the <providers> section of our Web.Config file.  Honestly, I don't get this - why did it work fine yesterday and today it stops?

    Here is a portion of our Web.Config file with the AD related information:

     

    <connectionStrings>
    	<add name="ADService" connectionString="LDAP://OURSERVER" />
    </connectionStrings>
    
    
    <membership defaultProvider="AspNetActiveDirectoryMembershipProvider">
    	<providers>
    		<add name="AspNetActiveDirectoryMembershipProvider"
    		type="System.Web.Security.ActiveDirectoryMembershipProvider, System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"
    		connectionStringName="ADService"
    		connectionUsername="someuser"
    		connectionPassword="somePassword"
    		connectionProtection="Secure"
    		description="Default AD connection"
    		attributeMapUsername="sAMAccountName"
    		clientSearchTimeout="30"
    		serverSearchTimeout="30"
    		maxInvalidPasswordAttempts="5"
    		passwordAttemptWindow="10"
    		enablePasswordReset="true"
    		enableSearchMethods="true"
    		requiresQuestionAndAnswer="true"
    		applicationName="/"
    		attributeMapEmail="mail"
    		requiresUniqueEmail="false"
    		attributeMapPasswordQuestion="passwordQuestionDirStr"
    		attributeMapPasswordAnswer="passwordAnswerDirStr"
    		attributeMapFailedPasswordAnswerTime="badPasswordAnswerTimeInt8"
    		attributeMapFailedPasswordAnswerLockoutTime="badPasswordAnswerLockoutTimeInt8"
    		attributeMapFailedPasswordAnswerCount="badPasswordAnswerCount"
    		minRequiredPasswordLength="6"
    		minRequiredNonalphanumericCharacters="0"/>
    	</providers>
    </membership>
    
     
    Thursday, October 4, 2007 4:55 PM

All replies

  • User-900017823 posted

    Well, for some reason, this is now working.  I am glad, and all that, but I would REALLY like to know why it did not work yesterday and then suddenly today it starts working.  I did nothing at all different.  I didn't even turn off my PC or anything.  My PC was on all night, and then this morning I give it a try  and bingo, it worked.

    Why?

    Friday, October 5, 2007 11:31 AM
  • User497188932 posted

    Am having the exact same problem. Have not changed anything. I definitely have a connection open to the AD server, I can log in remotely using the same passwords and can even log in using the AD server from another project. For some reason it just won't connect today. I rebooted my computer but had no luck. Very strange.

    Wednesday, March 26, 2008 12:04 PM
  • User148736 posted

    Hello,

     The message error "enable to establish a secure connection with the server" is due to authorization.

     The solution is to add the user that execute the process in admin group and remote groupe of your active directory.

    It's works for me and I hope it will work for u.

    Good Luck.

    Sunday, March 15, 2009 11:03 AM
  • User1095185381 posted

    I've had the same problem.  And I'd managed to lock out the account (in AD) I was using for the connectionUsername in web.config.  When I used a different account, the problem went away.

    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 12:57 PM