Most folders under c:\Users\myname give "Location is not available"

Question

• Most folders under c:\Users\myname have shortcut arrows on them. Trying to open them gives:
       "Location is not available".
       (Path\...) is not accessible.
       Access is denied.

I am admin, and permissions look OK.
    Could this be related to my changing the 'location' of 'My Documents' to my D: drive?

Win 8 preview 64-bit. 1.5GB of RAM. (No Restore Point available unfortunately.)

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 10:21 AM

Answers

• Right-click a junction point such as My Documents and switch to Security tab in the folder's (that wouldn't be an actual folder referred by the junction point) property dialog box.
    • Click Advanced button and switch to the Effective Access tab.
    • Click Select a user link and choose your account
    • Click Update button to see resulting access permission to the junction point. Most likely you will get: File Permissions: denied for List folder / read data permission.

Please read the following article also: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930128

The article says:

By default, a junction point has the following settings after you upgrade Windows XP to Windows Vista:

• The attribute of a junction point is hidden.
    • The Read permission of a junction point is Deny.

If you look at the Permissions tab of any of the junction points, you'll see that the well-known Everyone account has Deny type set for List folder / read data permission.

Please read following article for more information about creating junction points manually: How to create and manipulate NTFS junction points

By the way, Paul, what's the difference between the junction point and the hardlink? Is there any?

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 2:52 PM

All replies

• Did this problem happens after you change location of my document?

Could you provide us with step by step of how did you change that to reproduce this issue.

You could go to Start and Control Panel (metro) and then Refresh your PC.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 12:35 PM
  • On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 10:21:25 +0000, Ross Nixon wrote:

Most folders under c:\Users\myname have shortcut arrows on them. Trying to open them gives:
    ?? "Location is not available".
    ?? (Path\...) is not accessible.
    ?? Access is denied.

I am admin, and permissions look OK.
    Could this be related to my changing the 'location' of 'My Documents' to my D: drive?

Win 8 preview 64-bit. 1.5GB of RAM. (No Restore Point available unfortunately.)

Google for Windows Junction Points.

Paul Adare
    MVP - Forefront Identity Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    System going down at 5 pm to install scheduler bug.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 1:01 PM
    • Right-click a junction point such as My Documents and switch to Security tab in the folder's (that wouldn't be an actual folder referred by the junction point) property dialog box.
    • Click Advanced button and switch to the Effective Access tab.
    • Click Select a user link and choose your account
    • Click Update button to see resulting access permission to the junction point. Most likely you will get: File Permissions: denied for List folder / read data permission.

Please read the following article also: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930128

The article says:

By default, a junction point has the following settings after you upgrade Windows XP to Windows Vista:

• The attribute of a junction point is hidden.
    • The Read permission of a junction point is Deny.

If you look at the Permissions tab of any of the junction points, you'll see that the well-known Everyone account has Deny type set for List folder / read data permission.

Please read following article for more information about creating junction points manually: How to create and manipulate NTFS junction points

By the way, Paul, what's the difference between the junction point and the hardlink? Is there any?

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 2:52 PM