Does the new Azure Accelerator for Web Roles support roles containing multiple websites? RRS feed

• Question

• I just saw the announcement for the Azure Accelerator for Web Roles and I'm very interested in using it.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/windowsazure/archive/2011/07/12/now-available-windows-azure-accelerator-for-web-roles.aspx

But, I'm a little worried about one aspect. After watching the video demonstration I wasn't able to determine if you can deploy Web Roles which contain multiple sites. I currently have a Web Role project which is configured to deploy 3 different websites on an individual instance. Each site is mapped to its own sub-domain. For example, a single instance contains 2 MVC websites (www.mysite.com, admin.mysite.com) and a WCF API website (api.mysite.com).

Is this configuration supported? Most of my confusion comes from the fact that one of the configuration screens asks for a single host name. The problem is my webrole is techincally configured to listen for 3 host names which point to each website.

http://www.IActionable.com - Gamification and Analytics Platform

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 1:14 AM

Answers

• Hi IActionable,

After watching the video demonstration, as per my understanding, we are able use it to deploy multiple web sites with different custom domains.

I guess you have a little confusion between web role and web site. The Windows Azure Accelerator is already an Azure service that contains a web role. After deploying the Windows Azure Accelerator project on cloud, we are able to use its management page to deploy web sites (aka ASP.NET Web Applications). The difference is that we no longer create an Azure service with a web role and define extra sites to that web role, but we directly create an ASP.NET Web Application and deploy it via the mangement page.

So for your case, you will do this step (Creating and Deploying a Website using Web Deploy) multiple times to define multiple web sites, and then perform publish command for each ASP.NET project.

Thanks.

Wenchao Zeng
    Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not.
    If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com.
    Microsoft One Code Framework
    • Marked as answer by Wenchao Zeng Wednesday, July 20, 2011 5:37 AM
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 2:49 PM