Custom Azure Batch VM slow startup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am using a custom Windows Server 2016 image (with VS Community) and after allocation the vm takes more than 10min to be ready to execute batch tasks. A generic Windows Server 2016 takes less than 3min and a a few months ago a custom datascience windows 2016 was taking me 5min to start.

Is there a way to understand if the problem comes from the process of generalizing the image?

Wednesday, October 3, 2018 10:14 AM

All replies

• Are you seeing it take 10 mins to start up each time you go to execute a task? Or just on the original provisioning of the batch pool? 

One thing I would suggest looking into is the system logs of one of the nodes. 

If you go to your batch account -> Pools -> Nodes -> Select a node

you can RDP to the physical node. From there you could look into the system and the application logs to see what is starting up when the VM is being initialized. This might give you some insight into why it is taking the time it is. 

I suggest looking from startup time to the time you find the task is being executed. That way you can piece together a list of all the services. From there, you could try creating a second image and limit any startup services that are not required. 

Wednesday, October 3, 2018 6:13 PM
  • If you are comparing the performance of a custom image to a platform image from the market place, the custom image performance will lag. This is because the platform image from the market place is replicated and cached in many stamps in the data center. 

NG

Thursday, October 4, 2018 4:51 PM