Frequent crashes of VS 2012 Express RC

Question

• I am experiencing frequent crashes of VS 2012 (a couple of times an hour) while working on a Metro app using C++.  Since I cannot find reports of others with this problem, I am assuming that there is something wrong on my end.  I have a new install of Window 8 and VS 2012 Express RC (about 2 weeks old).  My machine is 64 bit and has 4 GB of memory.  Can someone suggest how I might diagnose this problem?

Thanks.

Sunday, July 01, 2012 6:30 PM

Answers

• Thanks for the feedback, but I now believe that it was due to a hardware issue.  I hadn't thought that was the case because it seemed to only be happening in Visual Studio, but that was probably be because VS was pretty much the only thing (other than IE and my app) that I was using.  However I subsequently had Win 8 randomly crash a couple of times so I began to suspect the hardware.  I swapped out the memory, and now it appears completely stable.

Thanks again for the help.

Wednesday, July 04, 2012 11:54 PM

All replies

• Can you try finding the stack trace / exception details from the Event Viewer?
    Monday, July 02, 2012 11:17 PM
  • Hi John,

you might want to collect some dumps of your crashing situation.  One way to collect the info is to download the Visual Studio 2012 Feedback tool from

http://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/f8a5aac8-0418-4f88-9d34-bdbe2c4cfe72

Restart Visual Studio 2012 RC, once restarted go to Help | Report a Bug

In the feeback tool, change type to crash, fill in an appropriate title, click on the record button.  Reproduce the crash, then submit after the crash.  That will upload the proper files for initial analysis.  Please send me a quick note at mikewong at microsoft.com so I can take a look at your particular crash.

much appreciated,

mike

Monday, July 02, 2012 11:37 PM
  • Thanks for the feedback, but I now believe that it was due to a hardware issue.  I hadn't thought that was the case because it seemed to only be happening in Visual Studio, but that was probably be because VS was pretty much the only thing (other than IE and my app) that I was using.  However I subsequently had Win 8 randomly crash a couple of times so I began to suspect the hardware.  I swapped out the memory, and now it appears completely stable.

Thanks again for the help.

Wednesday, July 04, 2012 11:54 PM