none
Can't Connect AppAssure to Azure account

Question

• This is an initial setup. I'm trying to add Azure as my only AppAssure cloud service and I get error that says "The remote server returned an error: (400) Bad request." I have an open service request at Quest (AppAssure's new owner) but the tech is absolutely clueless. Is there a simple way to verify that my server can actually communicate with Azure other than using AppAssure? I can access my Azure account from the same browser window that AppAssure runs in, if that means anything.

R. Archer

Monday, January 16, 2017 5:08 PM

Answers

• ANSWERED! After several hours on the telephone and WebEx with the tech and his supervisor, it was finally determined that the storage account must be set up as "classic" which is NOT the default type.

R. Archer

• Marked as answer by APMPortland Tuesday, January 17, 2017 11:41 PM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2017 11:40 PM

All replies

• Greetings,
    Thank you for contacting Microsoft forums. We are pleased to answer your query.

Could you kindly clarify what exactly you’re trying to use within Azure? Are you trying to spin up a VM? At what stage did you encounter the error in Azure?

Regards.

Md. Shihab

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 9:38 AM
  • AppAssure is an enterprise backup solution and, ultimately, I would be archiving daily backup data to Azure. Azure is a "supported" cloud solution and was actually recommended as the "best" solution by a Dell storage technician but I'm nowhere near actually "using" Azure because I can't even create the connection in AppAssure. They have suggested that I check to make sure I'm not having a firewall issue, but they can't tell me what to check for. Do I need specific ports open? If so, I haven't found ANY reference to this in numerous Internet searches.

I encounter the error trying to perform the "Add New Account" step in AppAssure's GUI. This step just prompts for a storage account name, the Access Key and a user-defined Display Name. I've tried intentionally mistyping the account name and key, just to see what happens, and I get expected errors. But when all the information is correct, I get the cryptic Error 400 described above.

AppAssure also "supports" Amazon S3, OpenStack and Rackspace for cloud storage - maybe I should just move on to one of these and forget Azure?

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 4:45 PM
  • Sorry, the above reply was posted by me (APMPortland), the original asker, but I was using a different computer and it was apparently signed in with a different Microsoft ID.

R. Archer

Tuesday, January 17, 2017 4:50 PM
  • ANSWERED! After several hours on the telephone and WebEx with the tech and his supervisor, it was finally determined that the storage account must be set up as "classic" which is NOT the default type.

R. Archer

• Marked as answer by APMPortland Tuesday, January 17, 2017 11:41 PM
    Tuesday, January 17, 2017 11:40 PM
  • Greetings,

Glad to know your issue is resolved. Thanks for taking the time to describe what fixed the issue.

Regards.

Md. Shihab

Wednesday, January 18, 2017 4:59 AM