EWS API error - The response received from the service didn't contain valid XML. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm trying to send mail via the EWS API.

I'm getting the above error.

Visual studio - 2010

I'm actually doesn't know what exchange version i'm using. but I tried:

2007-SP1

2010-SP1

They all give me the same error.

this is my code:

ExchangeService service = new ExchangeService(ExchangeVersion.Exchange2010);

service.Credentials = new WebCredentials("shaul", "SSS8i8i8i");
                        service.TraceEnabled = true;
                        System.Net.ServicePointManager.ServerCertificateValidationCallback =
                        ((sender, certificate, chain, sslPolicyErrors) => true);

service.Url = new Uri("https://81.218.142.215:9992/EWS/Exchange.asmx");

EmailMessage mail = new EmailMessage(service);
                        mail.From = new EmailAddress("shaul@internety.biz");
                        mail.ToRecipients.Add("shaul.noal@gmail.com");
                        mail.Subject = "Email Subject";
                        mail.Body = "Email Body";

mail.Send();

Thanks in advance

Shaul

Monday, April 16, 2012 1:53 PM

All replies

• The default port of of EWS is 443 for EWS to be binding on port 9992 would have required reconfiguration of IIS on the Exchange server or some sort of port forwarding.

What do the traces look like (eg are you getting a SOAP response for the server? this will also tell you what version of Exchange the server is running).

I would suggest you try to test whether EWS works first using the EWS Editor http://archive.msdn.microsoft.com/ewseditor with the credentials you using try using the users UPN.

On a normal Exchange Server you should also be able to use https://www.testexchangeconnectivity.com/ and run the EWS tests.

Cheers
    Glen

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 5:41 AM
  • Thaks for your help. I have used the EWS Editor. I could not establish connection. I used the same Credentials as isued in my code.

I get the next Error:

Exception details:
    Message: The request failed. The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive.
    Type: Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.ServiceRequestException
    Source: Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices
    Stack Trace:
       at Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.ServiceRequestBase.ValidateAndEmitRequest(HttpWebRequest& request)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.SimpleServiceRequestBase.InternalExecute()
       at Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.MultiResponseServiceRequest`1.Execute()
       at Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.ExchangeService.InternalConvertIds(IEnumerable`1 ids, IdFormat destinationFormat, ServiceErrorHandling errorHandling)
       at EWSEditor.Common.Extensions.ExchangeServiceExtensions.TestExchangeService(ExchangeService service) in C:\Users\mstehle\Documents\codeplex\ewseditor\Common\Extensions\ExchangeServiceExtensions.cs:line 171
       at EWSEditor.Forms.ServiceDialog.BtnOK_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Users\mstehle\Documents\codeplex\ewseditor\Forms\Dialogs\ServiceDialog.cs:line 116
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
    Exception details:
    Message: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a receive.
    Type: System.Net.WebException
    Source: System
    Stack Trace:
       at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse()
       at Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.ServiceRequestBase.Emit(HttpWebRequest& request)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.ServiceRequestBase.ValidateAndEmitRequest(HttpWebRequest& request)
    Exception details:
    Parameter name: enumType
    Type: System.ArgumentException
    Source: mscorlib
    Stack Trace:
       at System.Enum.GetName(Type enumType, Object value)
       at EWSEditor.Common.ValidationCallbackHelper.CertificateValidationCallBack(Object sender, X509Certificate certificate, X509Chain chain, SslPolicyErrors sslPolicyErrors) in C:\Users\mstehle\Documents\codeplex\ewseditor\Common\ValidationCallbackHelper.cs:line 32
       at System.Net.ServerCertValidationCallback.Callback(Object state)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Net.ServerCertValidationCallback.Invoke(Object request, X509Certificate certificate, X509Chain chain, SslPolicyErrors sslPolicyErrors)
       at System.Net.Security.SecureChannel.VerifyRemoteCertificate(RemoteCertValidationCallback remoteCertValidationCallback)
       at System.Net.Security.SslState.CompleteHandshake()
       at System.Net.Security.SslState.CheckCompletionBeforeNextReceive(ProtocolToken message, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
       at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessReceivedBlob(Byte[] buffer, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
       at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReceiveBlob(Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
       at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessReceivedBlob(Byte[] buffer, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
       at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReceiveBlob(Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
       at System.Net.Security.SslState.ForceAuthentication(Boolean receiveFirst, Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
       at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult lazyResult)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.runTryCode(Object userData)
       at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.RuntimeHelpers.ExecuteCodeWithGuaranteedCleanup(TryCode code, CleanupCode backoutCode, Object userData)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Net.TlsStream.ProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult result)
       at System.Net.TlsStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
       at System.Net.PooledStream.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
       at System.Net.ConnectStream.WriteHeaders(Boolean async)

(Also i have tried to change the port number to 443.)

Another issue (maybe). I don't knoe if it helps. In oreder to access throw the web to the mailbox I use a different user name: YYYYY\XXXXX and in my program i'm using only the XXXXX. What should I use? the YYYY\XXXX Or the XXXXX or the XXXXX@GGGGGG.biz? maybe this is the problem?

Shaul

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 4:09 PM
  • The errors your getting indicate your not hitting the EWS endpoint eg if this was an authentication error you would be getting 401 unauthorized etc.

Check your server and firewall configuration (you might need to check your client firewall config as well)

You shouldn't need to put a port in at all unless you doing something strange with the server/firewall config.

Can you use OWA on this server ? eg does https://81.218.142.215/owa work ? if its does try https://81.218.142.215/ews/exchange.asmx you should also be able to browse to the WSDL file eg https://81.218.142.215/ews/services.wsdl

are you sure your pointing at the CAS Server ?

Cheers
    Glen

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 4:37 AM
  • Thanks Glen,

I turned off the firewall.

The OWA works judt fine.

Trying to access to the https://81.218.142.215/ews/exchange.asmx and the https://81.218.142.215/ews/services.wsdland

is good, and I can see the full XML file in the  web browser.

The web access is just fine. only when I try to access it with the C# app and the EWS editor it' fail.

What is CAS server?

Thanks a lot,

Shaul

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 9:55 AM
  • Glen, I tried the microsoft test tool (the link you post). This is the result:

"

Exchange Web Services service account access verification
      ExRCA failed to complete all tests with the service account.

Test Steps

Ensuring that the test mailbox folder is empty and accessible.
      ExRCA couldn't confirm that the folder is accessible and empty.

Additional Details
      Exception details:
    Message: The response received from the service didn't contain valid XML.
    Type: Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.ServiceRequestException
    Stack trace:
    at Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.ServiceRequestBase.ReadXmlDeclaration(EwsServiceXmlReader reader)
    at Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.ServiceRequestBase.ReadSoapFault(EwsServiceXmlReader reader)
    at Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.ServiceRequestBase.ProcessWebException(WebException webException)
    at Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.ServiceRequestBase.GetEwsHttpWebResponse(IEwsHttpWebRequest request)
    at Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.MultiResponseServiceRequest`1.Execute()
    at Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.ExchangeService.BindToFolder[TFolder](FolderId folderId, PropertySet propertySet)
    at Microsoft.Exchange.Tools.ExRca.Tests.EnsureEmptyFolderTest.PerformTestReally()
    Exception details:
    Type: System.Xml.XmlException
    Stack trace:
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowWithoutLineInfo(String res)
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
    at System.Xml.XmlCharCheckingReader.Read()
    at Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.EwsXmlReader.Read(XmlNodeType nodeType)
    at Microsoft.Exchange.WebServices.Data.ServiceRequestBase.ReadXmlDeclaration(EwsServiceXmlReader reader)

"

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 10:22 AM
  • What are the patch levels like on the servers there was a know problem caused by .net 3.5 sp1 where there is hotfix to fix
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958934
     this is an old issue from 2010 but if you aren't running the latest Exchange Service packs and rollups probably the cause. 

Cheers
    Glen

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 10:56 AM
  • Hi glen, The problem is probably in the exchange server. Do you have any ideas how to solve the problem in the exchange?

Shaul

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 12:31 PM
  • I would suggest applying the Hotfix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958934 and also upgrade to the latest Service Pack and rollup for the version of Exchange your using which should fix the problems with EWS.

Cheers
    Glen

Thursday, April 19, 2012 2:24 AM