Windows Mobile RRS feed

• Question

• Hi ,
    I need to develope a training procedure, can any one help me to tell what is needed to teach a person so that he can start developing window mobile applications,OR
    What is needed to be studied before starting window  mobile application development
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 3:59 PM

Answers

• Hi Naseer83,

Here is come FAQ which will help you lots in WM application development.

First decided that what programming language you prefer then you can start very easy to develop WM application.

0) Beginner's Guide to Windows Mobile Development

1) Windows Mobile Development FAQ

2) Device Emulator FAQ

3) Video For - How DO I ?
        It has Video and sample code itself.

Hope this may be help.
    If you find my post is helpful for you then mark as a answer.
    • Proposed as answer by WmDev Wednesday, January 20, 2010 4:08 AM
    • Marked as answer by warrentang Friday, January 22, 2010 8:16 AM
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 6:08 PM
  • The absolute minimum needed would be a Windows machine with XP or later, ActiveSync (if using Windows XP) or the Windows Mobile Device Center (if using Windows Vista or Windows 7), and the .Net Compact Framework SDK. The SDK download is free as are Active Sync and the Windows Mobile Device center.  While that is the absolute minimum required to begin with Windows Mobile development I don't encourage this route and generally only detail the setup for this path to those that absolutly cannot require the needed version of Visual Studio due to cost restrictions.

Ideally you should have Visual Studio 2008 Professional or better (or Visual Studio 2005 Standard or better). Visual Studio 2008 Professional ships with the Windows Mobile 5 SDK. You will want to download and install the Windows Mobile 6 SDK Refresh. There are two versions: the Professional version is for targetting devices with a touch screen and the Standard version is for targetting versions without a touch screen. 

<offTopic>
    I personally feel that Professional and Standard are not the best names for these types of phones since the devices with a touch screen (Professional) seem to be more common than the ones without (Standard) though their names would suggest otherwise.  Prior to professional and Standard these devices were called PocketPC (with a touch screen) and Smartphone (Without a touch screen). The older terminolgy is still used by some. From a branding standpoint Microsoft is now calling both devices "Windows Phones." All of the Windows Mobile versions are derrived from a product called Windows Embedded CE. Whereas Windows Embedded CE can take many forms (you can find it running in Microwavable ovens, vehicle entertainment systems, remote controls, robots,telephones,  the Slingbox, so on) Windows Mobile devices will be in more recognizable forms. But enough with the naming history. back to answering your question.
    </offTopic>

Once you've installed both of these then you have a decent setup.  Optionally you can install the Windows Mobile 6.5 Resource toolkit if you plan on making use of the Gesture APIs. But you can get to 99% of the things you might use with just the SDK refresh.   If you do not have access to a physical Windows Phone you can make use of the emulators. The Windows Mobile Emulators are available as free downloads. You can get emulators for Windows Mobile 6.1 and 6.5 (Professional and Standard) in english or localized to some other language.

While that covers the material needs to begin development I've not addressed your informational needs. If you want a printed book I would suggest the Microsoft Mobile Development Handbook. This seems to be the standard book for developers that want to get started with Windows Mobile development using a .Net language (C# or VB.Net). The book assumes the developer already understands the C# language. I would also suggest reviewing the "24 hours of Windows Mobile" webcast series. You don't need to watch all of them, but the first few should give you an introduction to getting started and using the emulators. I've got most of the webcast episodes catalogued here.  A text version of the first few webcast is also available on CodeProject.com somewhere. But I don't have the links immediately handy. If you want to begin developing in C/C++ instead of C#/VB.Net at first glance it will appear there are no books available.   If you include Windows Embedded CE books in your search you will find a few. The one I would suggest is "Programming Windows Embedded CE 6.0 Developer's Handbook."
    It takes all the running you can do to stay in one place.If you want to get somewhere else,you must try to run at least twice as fast as that.
    • Proposed as answer by Joel Ivory Johnson Tuesday, January 19, 2010 7:25 PM
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 7:25 PM

All replies

• Hi Naseer83,

Here is come FAQ which will help you lots in WM application development.

First decided that what programming language you prefer then you can start very easy to develop WM application.

0) Beginner's Guide to Windows Mobile Development

1) Windows Mobile Development FAQ

2) Device Emulator FAQ

3) Video For - How DO I ?
        It has Video and sample code itself.

Hope this may be help.
    If you find my post is helpful for you then mark as a answer.
    • Proposed as answer by WmDev Wednesday, January 20, 2010 4:08 AM
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 6:08 PM
  • The absolute minimum needed would be a Windows machine with XP or later, ActiveSync (if using Windows XP) or the Windows Mobile Device Center (if using Windows Vista or Windows 7), and the .Net Compact Framework SDK. The SDK download is free as are Active Sync and the Windows Mobile Device center.  While that is the absolute minimum required to begin with Windows Mobile development I don't encourage this route and generally only detail the setup for this path to those that absolutly cannot require the needed version of Visual Studio due to cost restrictions.

Ideally you should have Visual Studio 2008 Professional or better (or Visual Studio 2005 Standard or better). Visual Studio 2008 Professional ships with the Windows Mobile 5 SDK. You will want to download and install the Windows Mobile 6 SDK Refresh. There are two versions: the Professional version is for targetting devices with a touch screen and the Standard version is for targetting versions without a touch screen. 

<offTopic>
    I personally feel that Professional and Standard are not the best names for these types of phones since the devices with a touch screen (Professional) seem to be more common than the ones without (Standard) though their names would suggest otherwise.  Prior to professional and Standard these devices were called PocketPC (with a touch screen) and Smartphone (Without a touch screen). The older terminolgy is still used by some. From a branding standpoint Microsoft is now calling both devices "Windows Phones." All of the Windows Mobile versions are derrived from a product called Windows Embedded CE. Whereas Windows Embedded CE can take many forms (you can find it running in Microwavable ovens, vehicle entertainment systems, remote controls, robots,telephones,  the Slingbox, so on) Windows Mobile devices will be in more recognizable forms. But enough with the naming history. back to answering your question.
    </offTopic>

Once you've installed both of these then you have a decent setup.  Optionally you can install the Windows Mobile 6.5 Resource toolkit if you plan on making use of the Gesture APIs. But you can get to 99% of the things you might use with just the SDK refresh.   If you do not have access to a physical Windows Phone you can make use of the emulators. The Windows Mobile Emulators are available as free downloads. You can get emulators for Windows Mobile 6.1 and 6.5 (Professional and Standard) in english or localized to some other language.

While that covers the material needs to begin development I've not addressed your informational needs. If you want a printed book I would suggest the Microsoft Mobile Development Handbook. This seems to be the standard book for developers that want to get started with Windows Mobile development using a .Net language (C# or VB.Net). The book assumes the developer already understands the C# language. I would also suggest reviewing the "24 hours of Windows Mobile" webcast series. You don't need to watch all of them, but the first few should give you an introduction to getting started and using the emulators. I've got most of the webcast episodes catalogued here.  A text version of the first few webcast is also available on CodeProject.com somewhere. But I don't have the links immediately handy. If you want to begin developing in C/C++ instead of C#/VB.Net at first glance it will appear there are no books available.   If you include Windows Embedded CE books in your search you will find a few. The one I would suggest is "Programming Windows Embedded CE 6.0 Developer's Handbook."
    It takes all the running you can do to stay in one place.If you want to get somewhere else,you must try to run at least twice as fast as that.
    • Proposed as answer by Joel Ivory Johnson Tuesday, January 19, 2010 7:25 PM
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 7:25 PM