Scriptable Silverlight Object RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, im currently trying to make a chat app that would make WCF calls on app_exit, and i've read around that the only way to do so is through javascript, so i've been trying to make an application that triggers functions of my silverlight class, except i keep running into javascript errors. so right now i have it call a function on load via,

<body onload="popout()">

which calls this function here,

function popout() {

var plugin = document.getElementById("silverlightcontrol");

plugin.content.thisismyobject.Pop(); }

the problem is, it reports an error on plugin.content.thisismyobject.pop(); and i have it register the obj here

namespace Testapp { [ScriptableType] public partial class MainPage : UserControl {

public MainPage() { InitializeComponent();

Loaded += new RoutedEventHandler(MainPage_Loaded); }

[ScriptableMember()] void MainPage_Loaded(object sender, RoutedEventArgs e) {

HtmlPage.RegisterScriptableObject("thisismyobject", this); }

[ScriptableMember] public void Pop() { MessageBox.Show("pop"); }

}

}

what am i doing wrong?

Friday, June 11, 2010 2:06 PM

Answers

• I don't even know if this code works anywhere, but I wrote it to solve the problem you are experiencing. http://forums.silverlight.net/forums/t/11508.aspx Side note... if I were doing a chat app today I'd focus on WCF duplex communications and handle disconnects on the server.
    Friday, June 11, 2010 9:13 PM

All replies

•  1. Do not call in the <body onload> event. Call in some other event such as button click etc. Reason is when body onload is called, silverlight plugin is not created as <object> tag is usually inside the body tag. Something like

<Input type="Button" value="Click to Pop" onClick="popout()"/>

2. Make sure you have given right id for object which you are trying to use for getting the reference back. In your case it should be

<object id="silverlightcontrol"

I have tested and it is working absolutely fine. If you need sample I will be happy to upload.

Mark as 'Answered' if it helps

Friday, June 11, 2010 6:49 PM
  • thanks for replying, the problem with changing it to say, a button, is that i need the function to be called onunload, so that i can send a WCF call right before application exit.

And yes that also works on my side, so we can rule out (2) for wrong object ID

Friday, June 11, 2010 6:57 PM
  • I don't even know if this code works anywhere, but I wrote it to solve the problem you are experiencing. http://forums.silverlight.net/forums/t/11508.aspx Side note... if I were doing a chat app today I'd focus on WCF duplex communications and handle disconnects on the server.
    Friday, June 11, 2010 9:13 PM
  • http://csharperimage.jeremylikness.com/2009/11/silverlight-communication-three-ways-to.html
    Monday, June 14, 2010 12:55 AM
  • thanks that is quite useful. fortunately it just turned out that some of my code had wrong formatting n such and has been fixed

Monday, June 14, 2010 12:08 PM