none
Program Files, Microsoft SQL Server, 90, Samples directory, can't access or delete RRS feed

• Question

• "You don't currently have permission to access this folder."

Viewing the Security tab for the folder gives, "You do not have permission to view or edit this object's permission settings."

First question is the obvious one, "Why would this folder have been given permissions such that even the computer administrator cannot access it?"

Running 32-bit Vista Home Premium

I am and always was the one and only user, the one and only administrator. UAC is off.

I had to re-format my primary hard drive several weeks ago. Before the re-format I had been running with Program Files redirected to the 2nd drive. The reason I re-formatted was that doing this causes Windows Update issues I never could solve so I finally (after nearly a year) decided to wipe it all and start over. I left the Program Files intact on the 2nd drive and installed clean on the primary drive. So this 'copy' of my Program Files directory has no link to the currently running operating system, yet I still cannot delete it. I need to free up space on the 2nd drive and while this folder seems to contain no files, its existence prevents me from deleting the root folder Program Files; which is just plain annoying.

Now I could re-format the 2nd drive, but it contains all of my 'data', music, pictures, etc. I would have to copy it all to the 1st drive (~125G), reformat, copy it all back, and then re-direct all my special folders (again). I'm hoping for a quick fix so I can avoid that option.

Thursday, November 15, 2007 2:57 PM