SndVol.exe Mute RRS feed

• Question

• Win7 X64
    In XP I could check "Mute" --> Decrease or increase the volume --> Release the "Mute".
    Now In 7 I can't.
    After "Mute" when I Lower the volume, It returns to play music.
    How can I fix it to have it like in XP?

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 10:26 PM

All replies

• This was an intentional change; many consumer electronic devices behave this way (when you press the "volume up" or "volume down" button, they unmute.)

It is possible to write an app that uses IAudioEndpointVolume directly to control the volume and the mute.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd370892(v=vs.85).aspx

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/matthew_van_eerde/archive/2012/06/18/muting-all-audio-outputs-with-iaudioendpointvolume.aspx

Also, the volume slider in the Sound control panel (double-click the device, go to the Levels tab) does not automatically unmute when the setting is changed.

Matthew van Eerde

Wednesday, September 5, 2012 10:46 PM
  • 1. I'm not a developer.
    2. If I want to use the multimedia buttons (I think they control the SndVol.exe). What can I do?

Can you help me?
    Thursday, September 6, 2012 10:30 AM
  • Ah, you're pressing physical multimedia buttons on the keyboard and you want to make the volume go up and down, while audio is muted, and you don't want to unmute the audio?

Yes, this is an explicit change in Windows 7 as compared to Windows XP; we intentionally unmute when volume up and/or volume down is pressed so you can get auditory feedback on how loud the volume is.

The multimedia buttons don't control sndvol.exe directly (they work even if sndvol.exe isn't running) but sndvol.exe listens for volume change notifications.  So when the multimedia buttons change the volume (and mute status), sndvol.exe is told about it and updates itself accordingly.

Can you explain a little bit more about the scenario where you want to change the volume without unmuting?

Matthew van Eerde

Thursday, September 6, 2012 3:43 PM
  • Ah, you're pressing physical multimedia buttons on the keyboard and you want to make the volume go up and down, while audio is muted, and you don't want to unmute the audio?

Yes, I need it a lot.

It happens a lot of times, when I listen to music, or surf the Internet, and suddenly the volume is too strong. So I do mute. But when I want to lower the volume, high volume returns... I want first to set the volume to what I want and then unmute.

I use both the multimedia buttons and SndVol.exe. Both have the same problem.

Can you help me?

Sunday, September 9, 2012 10:33 AM
  • Right-click the speaker icon next to the clock and choose "Playback devices".

Double-click the device with the green checkmark.

Go to the Levels tab.

You can set the volume here without unmuting.

Matthew van Eerde

Monday, September 10, 2012 3:39 PM
  • I've seen it already.
    It's really not what I need. It's too complicated solution. Irrelevant.
    I need someone can edit the SndVol.exe file and put a link here or something like that. (Controling via multimedia buttons would be best)
    Can you help me?

• Edited by a04 Tuesday, September 11, 2012 6:11 AM
    Tuesday, September 11, 2012 6:10 AM