none
PSCONFIG always starts in repair mode? RRS feed

• Question

• Over the weekend, I was doing some maintenance to a production SharePoint 2013 instance. The servers are all in "Upgrade Available" status, so I wanted to run PSCONFIG because I thought that the previous admin installed patches and forgot to run the wizard.

Anyway, when I started psconfig, it started in "Repair Mode" on all servers. I ran it, figuring that it would fix whatever issue and then subsequent PSCONFIGs would run normally. However, when I tried to run PSCONFIG after the initial run, it started in Repair mode again.   I did notice that the farm was still on the same build as before I ran the repair operation and all servers were still in "Upgrade Available" status.  When I ran stsadm -o localupgradestatus, it said there were 2 sites which weren't upgraded - would that cause Repair mode to run as default?

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 2:44 PM

All replies

• Yes that can be possible, First repair those sites consisted content databases and then try running the PS Config Wizard.

Try running below command for those 2 sites upgrade database. and then perform psconfig command.

Upgrade-SPContentDatabase WSS_Content
    PSConfig.exe -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -wait -cmd applicationcontent -install -cmd installfeatures -cmd secureresources -cmd services -install

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Tuesday, November 12, 2019 3:47 PM
  • As sharath aluri said, you can try to upgrade databases and then run psconfig.

Please go to Central Administration -> Upgrade and Migration-> Review database status to check which content databse required to upgrade.

Wednesday, November 13, 2019 6:37 AM
  • Hi blanghorst,

Is there any update?

If the post helps you, you can mark it as answer to help other community members to find the information quickly.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

Grace Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Friday, November 15, 2019 9:38 AM