Uploading Document with Flash control RRS feed

• Question

• I have a web application that allows the user to upload a TIF document to the server. The web application uses a Flash (.swf extension) control to select the file to be uploaded. I recorded two requests with Fiddler:

Request 1. The first request is to a URL with a .swf extension. This is what was recorded in Fiddler when I used the Flash web control to browse to my local drive and select the file I am uploading.

Request 2. The next request recorded was when I clicked on an "upload button" to upload the document. This request was to another URL.

Problem:

When I imported the raw Fiddler recording into Visual Studio 2012, Request 2 has only a Header folder and String Body. The string body seems to contain the binary file information response from Request 1, even though I can't visually see it when I open the string body. I am only able to see it when I play the web test and view the Raw request. Note: There seems to be a bug when I open the string body to view, Visual Studio truncates the message body! I know this because when I replay the web test, the content-length is much smaller than the original request. If you leave the string body alone, play the web test, the original data is there. But even if I don't view the string body to avoid Visual Studio truncating the string body, the server does not like the request.

When I use Fiddler to capture these two requests, I am able to use Fiddler's message composer to resubmit the request and the document is successfully uploaded. When I import the same recording into VS, the request is not working correctly.

Does Visual Studio not translate the binary information correctly?
    Does Visual Studio support what I am trying to capture?
    How do I get Visual Studio to send a successful request to upload my document?
    Friday, October 4, 2013 3:42 PM

Answers

• We ended up using HP LoadRunner for this application.
    • Proposed as answer by Amanda Zhu Tuesday, October 15, 2013 1:45 AM
    • Marked as answer by Duy.Nguyen Tuesday, October 15, 2013 1:52 AM
    Friday, October 11, 2013 1:41 PM

All replies

• Hello,

As far as I know, Visual Studio Web Performance Test records Http and Https requests. About how to upload a file in web test, this blog should help you:

How to upload a file in a Web test

Thanks,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, October 8, 2013 2:39 AM
  • There is no form post parameter recorded. Again, only a string body.
    Tuesday, October 8, 2013 6:24 AM
  • Hello,

When you run the web test in VS, whether you can get some errors for the requests? If yes, please post here so that we can further look at this issue. And it will be better if you post the content of String Body here.

Since it is hard for us to repro this issue, maybe you could share us a sample, we try to run it in our PC. Please attach your Visual Studio Web Test project and a Web App sample, you can upload them to the sky drive, and then share the download link in your post. Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Wednesday, October 9, 2013 5:01 AM
  • The error on the request is a server HTTP 500 error. The service doesn't like the request. The string body has some data but a big chunk of the request is non-readable since it contains binary data from the uploaded document. Unfortunately, I won't be able to upload the solution or give a sample project as it contains some private information that can't be made public.
    Thursday, October 10, 2013 3:16 AM
  • Hello,

Generally a HTTP 500 server error occurs at the server and even it is very hard to be fixed at the client (VSTS). Here is a useful article about HTTP 500.x Internal Server Error Codes which lists the most common 500 substatus codes returned by IIS:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/64e30660-d2f0-4e90-98cc-1652214a2b93.mspx?mfr=true

If possible, I suggest that you can contact the developer to add some logging to figure out where the error occurs and the detailed error information. Then maybe you can try to resolve it based on the information.

Since you can't provide us a sample, I’m afraid these questions require a more in-depth level of support. To help you resolve this issue quickly, I suggest you visit the following link to see the various paid support options that are available to better meet your needs.

http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?RDPATH=%2fdefault.aspx%3fid%3dfh%253ben-us%253bofferprophone

Best regards,

Thursday, October 10, 2013 9:23 AM
  • We ended up using HP LoadRunner for this application.
    • Proposed as answer by Amanda Zhu Tuesday, October 15, 2013 1:45 AM
    • Marked as answer by Duy.Nguyen Tuesday, October 15, 2013 1:52 AM
    Friday, October 11, 2013 1:41 PM