XML Schema Designer error RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

It seems that when I try to open .xsd files with Visual Studio, I get an error. The error says,

"Microsoft Visual Studio has encountered an error loading the file in the XML Schema Designer. Click the button below to view the file in the XML Editor.
    Button: Edit XML Schema"

Upon clicking the button, Visual Studio crashes.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Also, I tried to put an image in this question, but it said, "Body text cannot contain images or links until we are able to verify your account." How do I verify my account?

• Moved by Eric__Zhang Thursday, September 24, 2015 7:14 AM move to a more appropriate forum
    Wednesday, September 23, 2015 12:49 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Just to let you know, I tried all the things you said. I even tried Repair. But none of it worked.

Then, I found out what it was!!!!

Can you guess?

It was that I was trying to open the file from a sharepoint folder. I copied it to my desktop, and it opened just fine. Perhaps it was the length of the path, or perhaps something else. I don't know.

Thanks for your help anyway.

• Marked as answer by John7777777 Thursday, October 8, 2015 8:14 AM
    • Edited by John7777777 Thursday, October 8, 2015 8:15 AM
    Thursday, October 8, 2015 8:14 AM
  • Hi John,

Which visual studio edition do you use?

According to your description, to make sure whether it is related to your specific .xsd file. I suggest you could create a simple .xsd file to test this issue.

If this issue doesn't occur for this new created .xsd file, I doubt it is related to your specific .xsd file, please check it.

If this issue also occur for this new created file, I doubt that it is related to your visual studio, please take the following steps to troubleshoot this issue:

(1) To make sure whether it is related to the installation of visual studio, please go to Control Panel to repair your visual studio first.

(2) Please open Windows Explorer, and navigate to  <Visual Studio Installation Path>\Common7\IDE, and run the following commands:

a.devenv.exe /safemode, this can eliminate the possibility that third party Add-ins or packages are causing problems. Thus ensuring stable execution.
    b.devenv.exe /resetskippkgs, it will clear all SkipLoading tags that have been added to VSPackages by users who want to avoid loading problem VSPackages.
    c.devenv.exe /resetsettings, it will restore Visual Studio default settings. Optionally resets the settings to the specified .vssettings file.
    d.devenv.exe /resetuserdata, it will take a couple of minutes to run as Visual Studio cleans up and sets itself back to its original state. You may open Task Manager at this point to check whether the devenv.exe process is still running. After it has completed running, you can restart Visual Studio.

If none of the above helps, please run devenv.exe /log, to start Visual Studio and log all activity to the log file. By default, the log file is: %APPDATA%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Version\ActivityLog.xml

And then upload the ActivityLog.xml to https://skydrive.live.com/ and share the link here.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Proposed as answer by Jiayi Li Wednesday, October 7, 2015 8:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jiayi Li Thursday, October 8, 2015 2:31 AM
    Thursday, September 24, 2015 7:35 AM

All replies

• Hi John,

Which visual studio edition do you use?

According to your description, to make sure whether it is related to your specific .xsd file. I suggest you could create a simple .xsd file to test this issue.

If this issue doesn't occur for this new created .xsd file, I doubt it is related to your specific .xsd file, please check it.

If this issue also occur for this new created file, I doubt that it is related to your visual studio, please take the following steps to troubleshoot this issue:

(1) To make sure whether it is related to the installation of visual studio, please go to Control Panel to repair your visual studio first.

(2) Please open Windows Explorer, and navigate to  <Visual Studio Installation Path>\Common7\IDE, and run the following commands:

a.devenv.exe /safemode, this can eliminate the possibility that third party Add-ins or packages are causing problems. Thus ensuring stable execution.
    b.devenv.exe /resetskippkgs, it will clear all SkipLoading tags that have been added to VSPackages by users who want to avoid loading problem VSPackages.
    c.devenv.exe /resetsettings, it will restore Visual Studio default settings. Optionally resets the settings to the specified .vssettings file.
    d.devenv.exe /resetuserdata, it will take a couple of minutes to run as Visual Studio cleans up and sets itself back to its original state. You may open Task Manager at this point to check whether the devenv.exe process is still running. After it has completed running, you can restart Visual Studio.

If none of the above helps, please run devenv.exe /log, to start Visual Studio and log all activity to the log file. By default, the log file is: %APPDATA%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\Version\ActivityLog.xml

And then upload the ActivityLog.xml to https://skydrive.live.com/ and share the link here.

Best Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Proposed as answer by Jiayi Li Wednesday, October 7, 2015 8:30 AM
    • Marked as answer by Jiayi Li Thursday, October 8, 2015 2:31 AM
    Thursday, September 24, 2015 7:35 AM
  • Hello,

Just to let you know, I tried all the things you said. I even tried Repair. But none of it worked.

Then, I found out what it was!!!!

Can you guess?

It was that I was trying to open the file from a sharepoint folder. I copied it to my desktop, and it opened just fine. Perhaps it was the length of the path, or perhaps something else. I don't know.

Thanks for your help anyway.

• Marked as answer by John7777777 Thursday, October 8, 2015 8:14 AM
    • Edited by John7777777 Thursday, October 8, 2015 8:15 AM
    Thursday, October 8, 2015 8:14 AM